• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sale on ebay HELP!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gto_buyer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NE purchaser is from CA

December of 2003, I purchased a 1967 pontiac GTO from a private owner here in Nebraska. I restored the car and listed it on ebay in Feb. 2004 and sold it to an individual who was a car dealer and the high bidder. I received the funds, signed the title and delivered the car. Three months later he came back and said the car was not a GTO, but a Tempest. The title when I purchased the car states GTO and the engine data plate matched all the options and colors on the car. He said he sent in for documents through the VIN number and it came back a Pontiac Tempest, not a GTO. Nothing on the documents match the car, except the vin #. He wants a full refund now and to return the car. I told him that the car was sold "AS IS" as listed on the auction and that if he had any doubts about the car he should have had them checked out before bidding. I knew nothing about the vin history, and still believe that this car is a GTO. There are too many things that would have had to been changed and somthing would show in the workmanship, shince this was a tired, worn car when I got it. Also the title clearly states GTO, not Tempest. His lawyer now six months later sent me this e-mail last week saying the following:

"John Moore" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: re: Ebay item #2459798041
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:12:05 -0700

Dear Mr. Catania,

I have reviewed the information provided by Jack Kee. Your listing clearly states a 1967 GTO hardtop. My client received a 1967 Tempest. Your contract does state "as is" but it also clearly states 1967 GTO. You state numerous times that the vehicle being sold is a GTO, this is pure fraud. Please respond ASAP as the FBI is being reviewing this matter and we will pursue this matter through the legal system. Please advise me on you will be resolving this matter.

Cordially,
Adam Marangell
Attorney at Law

ALM: jlm

I returned the following e-mail to him:

Mr. Marangell (if that is who you say you are since the e-mail is from a Mr. John Moore),

If you see the title of the car it clearly states 1967 GTO hardtop, that is how I purchased it and that is how I sold it. From the information I gathered from the vehicles data plate, it stated 67 GTO two door hard top, Tyrol blue color, with a parchment interior, air conditioning, three speed transmission, V8, with bucket seats. All of that information is true and correct and I sold the car accordingly. I am not an expert in the automobile industry, Mr. Kee is, he is a licensed car dealer and knowingly chose to bid and purchase the said car that was listed on ebay, he knows way more about buying and selling cars than I will ever know. I knew little about Vin id's except that it had to match the title. If he has been in the automobile industry as long as he says and knows so much about cars, why did he not research this before buying, instead of coming back nearly two months later to make this claim. There was nothing to my knowledge that this car was not a GTO and the title and data plate confirm that. You as a lawyer should know the definition of fraud is defined as a deception deliberately practiced to secure unfair or unlawful gain. I did neither of these and don't like being accused of such. I'm sorry if Mr. Kee has buyers remorse and no longer wishes the said car, but this does not make it my problem now. I listed honestly and truthfully everything I knew about the car. In researching since Mr. Kees accusations, I found that the data plate, not the Vin is the most important plate on the car, as it shows the S.O. (sales order) number, usually in the lower right-hand-corner. This is the number dedicated to the car before it is built and assigned a VIN. If this car has been tampered with or worse stolen, it was not to my knowledge, nor do I believe to the individual who sold me the car. In the course of 40 years these cars can change hands numerous times and the history is usually impossible to find. When I purchased the GTO, I was told by my auto technician to check the information on the data plate inside the firewall and to make sure that it matched up to what you were buying and it did to a tee. Mr. Kee read me off these documents he sent away for and nothing matches this car, not the original color, interior, dash, transmission, nothing, which makes me further believe that the car is what it is titled as, a 1967 GTO, not a Tempest. If he wishes to pursue this with threats and lawsuits and defamation of my character, I cannot do anything about that. If he calls again and wishes to speak to my daughter, a minor of 14 years and harasses her with threats of what he will pursue with me, upsetting her to the point of tears, I will be happy to file a suit myself. I have done nothing wrong, I hid nothing, nor did I maliciously try and financially gain or deceive Mr. Kees.

Respectfully,

Brian Catania

I then got a phone call from Mr. Marangell who said his client wants his money back or would file a suit and win under California Law. He is a friend of the firm and they will handle it pro bono. I told him I would not give the money back, that I sold the car to the best of my knowledge, truthfully and honestly, which he said he would talk with his client. I have not heard back from anyone yet. I want to know what my legal rights are and is this just a scare tactic to try and get me to give in. I have heard nothing

Confused and looking for advice,

Shay-Pari'e

A Negative Feedback on Ebay? Let it play out in court if they wish to go there. A GTO can't be worth more than small claims.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

--PARIDISE-- said:
A Negative Feedback on Ebay? Let it play out in court if they wish to go there. A GTO can't be worth more than small claims.
These were the primier "Muscle cars" and restored they can fetch upwards of $40K, so not for small claims court.

rmet4nzkx

gto_buyer said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NE purchaser is from CA

December of 2003, I purchased a 1967 pontiac GTO from a private owner here in Nebraska. I restored the car and listed it on ebay in Feb. 2004 and sold it to an individual who was a car dealer and the high bidder. I received the funds, signed the title and delivered the car. Three months later he came back and said the car was not a GTO, but a Tempest. The title when I purchased the car states GTO and the engine data plate matched all the options and colors on the car. He said he sent in for documents through the VIN number and it came back a Pontiac Tempest, not a GTO. Nothing on the documents match the car, except the vin #.

Also the title clearly states GTO, not Tempest. His lawyer now six months later sent me this e-mail last week saying the following:
"John Moore" <[email protected]>[This is most likely someone at Kerrlawfirm]
To:
CC: [email]=
Subject: re: Ebay item #2459798041
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:12:05 -0700

Dear Mr. Catania,

I have reviewed the information provided by Jack Kee. Your listing clearly states a 1967 GTO hardtop. My client received a 1967 Tempest. Your contract does state "as is" but it also clearly states 1967 GTO. You state numerous times that the vehicle being sold is a GTO, this is pure fraud. Please respond ASAP as the FBI is being reviewing this matter and we will pursue this matter through the legal system. Please advise me on you will be resolving this matter.

Cordially,
Adam Marangell [according to Ca. bar he is lic attorney using a different address but same phone number as Kerrlawfirm in Fountain Valley, Orange Co. Ca.]
Attorney at Law

ALM: jlm [John L Moore typed this for him that's why it has his email]

I returned the following e-mail to him:
Mr. Marangell (if that is who you say you are since the e-mail is from a Mr. John Moore),

If you see the title of the car it clearly states 1967 GTO hardtop, that is how I purchased it and that is how I sold it. From the information I gathered from the vehicles data plate, it stated 67 GTO two door hard top, Tyrol blue color, with a parchment interior, air conditioning, three speed transmission, V8, with bucket seats. All of that information is true and correct and I sold the car accordingly. ......

I knew little about Vin id's except that it had to match the title. If he has been in the automobile industry as long as he says and knows so much about cars, why did he not research this before buying, instead of coming back nearly two months later to make this claim. There was nothing to my knowledge that this car was not a GTO and the title and data plate confirm that.

I listed honestly and truthfully everything I knew about the car. In researching since Mr. Kees accusations, I found that the data plate, not the Vin is the most important plate on the car, as it shows the S.O. (sales order) number, usually in the lower right-hand-corner. This is the number dedicated to the car before it is built and assigned a VIN. If this car has been tampered with or worse stolen, it was not to my knowledge, nor do I believe to the individual who sold me the car. In the course of 40 years these cars can change hands numerous times and the history is usually impossible to find. When I purchased the GTO, I was told by my auto technician to check the information on the data plate inside the firewall and to make sure that it matched up to what you were buying and it did to a tee. Mr. Kee read me off these documents he sent away for and nothing matches this car, not the original color, interior, dash, transmission, nothing, which makes me further believe that the car is what it is titled as, a 1967 GTO, not a Tempest. .....

I have done nothing wrong, I hid nothing, nor did I maliciously try and financially gain or deceive Mr. Kees.

Respectfully,

Brian Catania

I then got a phone call from Mr. Marangell who said his client wants his money back or would file a suit and win under California Law. He is a friend of the firm and they will handle it pro bono. I told him I would not give the money back, that I sold the car to the best of my knowledge, truthfully and honestly, which he said he would talk with his client. I have not heard back from anyone yet. I want to know what my legal rights are and is this just a scare tactic to try and get me to give in. I have heard nothing

Confused and looking for advice,[/QUOTE]
Goto this link for a history of the Pontiac Tempest/GTO As you can see 1967 was the 2nd full production year for the GTO in it's own right which is a souped up Tempest and 1967 a popular model. Originally, it was the Tempest with a GTO package. It was common practice at that time for different models to share parts and could be ordered with the "GTO" package from the dealership. So it is possible that it was a GTO with Tempest papers because it had the GTO package and that was how it was registered, possible an error at sometime in the past or even intentional upgrading or customization ordered from the dealer. These customized Tempest's are AKA "Clones" because the upgrade was so populat both at original POP and after market.

It is possible that the buyer had difficulty registereing the car since it was from out of state. If the buyer was a car dealer he would or should have known the above information and possibly even sought out GTO's knowing there might be some confusion, claim "fraud" and procure a much sought after Muscle Car at a discounted price after intimidating the seller. A restored 1967 GTO fetches upwards to $40K, a Tempest essentialy the same car about $5K. I don't know the price of this sale. If this is the case there might be reason to contact the Ca. Bar Association.

Musclecarclub.com - Pontiac GTO - History ...1967 Pontiac GTO. Comments: 400 cid engine was available in economy (255bhp), standard (335bhp), High Output (HO) (360bhp) and Ram Air (360bhp) versions.
Production: Sports Coupe: 7,029 Hardtop Coupe: 65,176 Convertible: 9,517
Engines: 400 V8 255 bhp @ 4400rpm, 397 lb-ft @ 4400 bhp. 400 V8 335 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 441 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm. 400 V8 HO 360 bhp @ 5100 rpm, 438 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm. 400 V8 Ram Air 360 bhp @ 5100 rpm, 438 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.
Performance: 400/255: NA. 400/335: NA. 400/360 HO: 0-60 in 6.6 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.66 sec @ 99mph. 400/360 Ram Air: NA.
[url]http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/pontiac-gto/pontiac-gto-history.shtml[/url]

gto_buyer

follow-up

Thanks you for the quick replys. I purchased the car for 7000.00 put 1800.00 not counting my time and effort of over 45 days into the car and it sold at auction for 14,100.00. I tend to agree that this car was possibly ordered, or changed at the factory on the asembly line, if someone tried to clone this car, there are always signs of the work done and it rarely is done complete or correct. If the car was perfect when I got it, then yes, but this car had not been restored before and I really don't believe guys were cloning these 30 years ago. Thanks you again for the information and please feel free to add to this.

rmet4nzkx

That is why I included the engine options although a Tempest could have had any of these ordered, and aparently the 4 spead is more popular. If it truly is a GTO $14K was low and they will turn around and sell it for much more. If it is a souped up Tempest it is probably a fair price considering the customization was most likely original and it may simply be a records problem, GTO and Tempest are essentially the same care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">