• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on supposed no-show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amy3141

Hello,

I recently went to a dermatologist that I found through my health insurance's website. I was extremely unimpressed with the care that I received; the staff was disrespectful and surly and the doctor was EXTREMELY insensitive when diagnosing me with a chronic skin disease. However, I scheduled a follow-up appointment to have a mole removed because I know how long many dermatologists' waiting lists are and I wanted to have it taken care of as soon as possible. So I made the appointment, but called around to other offices to see if I could get an appointment somewhere else. I did, and I called the original place to cancel my appointment, which was for 10:30 the next day. I was told that since it was 1:30 when I actually got through (I had attempted to call earlier that morning but kept getting a recorded message), I would have to pay for the appointment. I have just received a bill for a $60.00 "no-show" and I am furious. Not only that, but on my bill it says that I have $71.58 in past due charges despite the fact that I paid my $20.00 co-pay and gave them all my insurance information. Do I have any recourse in this situation, and if not, is there anywhere that I can write and warn people about this substandard doctor's office? I'd be grateful for any advice you could give me.

Amy3141 (in VA)

Last edited:

JETX

"Do I have any recourse in this situation"
*** You have no recourse on the 'no show' charge, other than to try to negotiate a waiver or settlement with the doctor. As for the co-pay issue, you certainly have the right to contact the doctor and your insurance carrier to verify that it was paid.... but even then, still have the ultimate responsibility for its payment.

"is there anywhere that I can write and warn people about this substandard doctor's office?"
*** You can certainly voice your concerns (suggest, in writing) to the physician him/herself. I find that most 'owners/manager' (even physicians) are usually not aware of the 'real happenings' in their office.

R

RandallFabiano

No show Charge....

Check with your states consumer division... That 60.00 service charge seems pretty high... The short asnwer is you don't have to pay it unless you signed a contract that if you did not show up then there would be a cancellation fee... Even then you might have recorse with respect to your wanting to go elsewhere for medical care... Send a Notice of Intent to sue for Medical Malpractice if you'd like, I bet if you tell the doctor he will drop the fee... Make the allegagtion that the doctor was extorting payment based on substandard care and thereby exploiting your privacy and choices to go elsewhere... Tell the doctor that you intend on contacting the state's consumer protection agency to file a claim for services not rendered, and that if all else fails you will contact the state medical board and put in a claim against the doctor for substandard treatment... the doctor will spend a lot more than 60.00 defending his name... He'll drop the fee.....

JETX

RandallFabiano said:
Check with your states consumer division... That 60.00 service charge seems pretty high...
Actually, it is very reasonable.

The short asnwer is you don't have to pay it unless you signed a contract that if you did not show up then there would be a cancellation fee...
And of course that is not correct. The OP's own post says that she was aware of the charge at the time. Further, you clearly have NO idea how 'impossible' it is to remove a charge from someone who claims, and can support, that it was known at the time?? She can claim 'no knowledge' until she is blue in the face.... and the charge will remain, turned over to debt collectors and impact her credit profile if NOT paid.

Send a Notice of Intent to sue for Medical Malpractice if you'd like
Oh, Christ!! You really don't have any idea, do you?? That is simply the most stupid thing I have seen so far today. But don't worry, there is still sufficient time for someone to 'beat you out' of first place! :D

I bet if you tell the doctor he will drop the fee... Make the allegagtion that the doctor was extorting payment based on substandard care and thereby exploiting your privacy and choices to go elsewhere...
The only correct thing in THAT statement is when you put GAG in the middle of 'allegation'!! :D
Can you spell 'defamation'??

Tell the doctor that you intend on contacting the state's consumer protection agency to file a claim for services not rendered, and that if all else fails you will contact the state medical board and put in a claim against the doctor for substandard treatment... the doctor will spend a lot more than 60.00 defending his name... He'll drop the fee.....
And file a defamation lawsuit against you. Simply, do NOT do anything that this idiot has suggested.

R

RandallFabiano

Defamation...

Please... You show your own ignorance... Defamation is not a cause of action Libel and slander is... Even then the doctor would have to prove that this information was published... Filing a complaint with the consumer protection agency is not a publication... Absent intent to cause harm to the doctors name... If you are merely sending a letter of intent you have done nothing "public". State agencies recieve thousands of claims a day on doctors. I doubt the doctors go after each and every individual that affirms a claim for mal-practice...
I am glad to know that I have to be extra careful in typing correctly for you... thanks...
Look there is no lawsuit here... The long and short answer is this. If you signed a contract then even then that contract can be broken... Read a little case law involving contract liability... I dont know about this ladies state but in california this would never hold much more weight than a feather... Tell the doctor your car broke down... tell him anything, but dont pay this 60 bucks... Then when he reports it on your credit, sue him.....

JETX

RandallFabiano said:
Please... You show your own ignorance... Defamation is not a cause of action Libel and slander is...
What a TWIT??? Do you really not know that DEFAMATION is the term that includes ALL libel (written DEFAMATION) and slander (oral DEFAMATION)??

Even then the doctor would have to prove that this information was published... Filing a complaint with the consumer protection agency is not a publication... Absent intent to cause harm to the doctors name...
Almost correct. And though I agree that my defamation claim was intended to warn the OP off from your stupid remarks, do you really not think that LYING ("extorting payment based on substandard care and thereby exploiting your privacy" - do even know what extortion is?) couldn't cause at least a CLAIM of defamation?? And surely, the doctor has far deeper pockets than the OP, and presumably could simply bring such a claim to force the OP to spend a large amount of money to defend what might eventually be found to be a 'weak claim'!!

If you are merely sending a letter of intent you have done nothing "public". State agencies recieve thousands of claims a day on doctors. I doubt the doctors go after each and every individual that affirms a claim for mal-practice...
I am glad to know that I have to be extra careful in typing correctly for you... thanks...
Malpractice is one word. Oh, and the correct spelling is 'receive'. You're welcome! :D

Look there is no lawsuit here... The long and short answer is this. If you signed a contract then even then that contract can be broken.
Wow, your ignorance is dangerous!!

Tell the doctor your car broke down... tell him anything, but dont pay this 60 bucks.
Did you even read the post. The writer said, "I called the original place to cancel my appointment..... I was told that since it was 1:30.... I would have to pay for the appointment."
Now you are advocating for the writer to lie.

Then when he reports it on your credit, sue him.....
Oh, this one made me damn near lose my coffee!!! Please, in your imminent legal wisdom... tell me, under what theory do you think that the writer could sue the doctor for the bill.

Last edited:
R

RandallFabiano

Read Moore V Regents...

First above most I was merely trying to discount your infinate non-legal wisdom by saying that defamation is not a cause of action... Libel and slander are... We are debating about a claim of 60 or so bucks.. Pay it... I am just merely making light of a situation that is laughable.. The reason our courts are so back up is because of claims involving truly weak claims.. Instead of discounting them, I am merely offering advice that even to a reasonable person would be laughable... Its just that Laughable.. So dont take it so serious...
This "OP" claim is ridiculous at best.. I think it could be right over there with Mcdonalds hot coffee claim.. Look... You have to think of two things before you sue.. One is my claim a valid claim that wont cost be hundreds and hundreds of dollars in legal expenses just to settle a 65.00 claim... I mean who are you JETX? Do you work for the RIAA... Lets tell it like it is.. There is no case. Its almost as laughable as another post on here of a lady that wanted to motion for an interstate change of venue for lost items in her car on a car lot...
By the way, I like to play devils advocate on these kind of posts... So dont take it serious...

JETX

Rightly or wrongly, this person has provided support for his claim to not be the person I believed him to be. As such, I have deleted my previous statements as to his person.
Though he still has NO legal experience or knowledge. :D

Last edited:
R

RandallFabiano

Hmmm...Dont quite even understand where you are going with that...

I attend Pepperdine Law school... I live in calabasas and I dont know what Neotricity is...
P.S.. Which law school do you go to... are you a Pro Se, you don't say..

R

RandallFabiano

yeah search engines are great....

If you had the right guy... Now thats Defamation and slander:)~ HA HA HA

ellencee

Amy3141
Although I am very much enjoying seeing JETX flex his muscles and send this guy through the shedder, I think you may still be in need of an answer to your post.

Most physicians' offices have a cancellation of appointment charge, especially if a block of time has been set aside for a procedure. You can not use your co-pay to pay any part of a cancelled appointment charge; you must pay the entire $60.00 fee.

You did have the choice of keeping the appointment (having or not having the mole removed) or paying the cancellation fee. Either of those choices would have allowed you to cancel the alternate appointment. If the whole truth were to be told, I imagine you had plenty of time to cancel the appointment in sufficient time.

I seriously doubt you can do anything about the fee. If you attemot to negotiate a lower fee, you certainly need to avoid conveying any amount of insult to the physician or his practice.

EC

JETX

EC, I just KNEW that you were lurking somewhere out there... just 'chompin' at the bit to jump in here. Thank you for grabbing the 'bill' by the horns!! :D
Especially since you are correct (and as noted in my FIRST post in this thread).... the writer is obligated to pay the 'no show' bill.

R

RandallFabiano

Actually I disagree...

Look Here is a good answer that is not so egocentric. The sixty dollar charge seems quite excessive. Usually most doctors charge a 25-30.00 charge for an appointment that is not cancelled in the 24 hour period. One thing that is important is that in most cases, it is not the doctor charging you. They hire business processors to do the insurance dirty work... Consequently missed appointment fees are not covered by insurance. However, good non-legal advice is that you catch more flies with honey. Why dont you call the doctors office and speak to whomever is in charge of the financials for the doctor. Explain that you were dissatisfied with the service and you decided to go else where. Tell him you tried to cancel, but you couldn't get through. Most likely they will be flexible with you. However, seeking an attorney for this would be ridiculous. It would cost you much, much, more in time and money than to just pay it... My fellow posters on this board in their infinate wisdom to be smarty pants lost track of the fact that we are talking about 60 bucks.. It sounds to me like you missed two appointments... But thats just a wild guess. Have you even called the Consumer protection agency... ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">