• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self Image/Likeness Copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

infinity2

I am wondering if an individual has any right to the copyright of their own personal image. To put this another way, does a random stranger have the right to photograph someone without consent and sell or in other ways financially benefit from the use of that photo. In my case specifically I am wondering if someone has the right to photograph an accident and publish it on a commercial website dedicated to accident photos.

Looking for law related to California copyrights and federal laws as applicable.

Thank you very much!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

infinity2 said:
I am wondering if an individual has any right to the copyright of their own personal image. To put this another way, does a random stranger have the right to photograph someone without consent and sell or in other ways financially benefit from the use of that photo. In my case specifically I am wondering if someone has the right to photograph an accident and publish it on a commercial website dedicated to accident photos.

Looking for law related to California copyrights and federal laws as applicable.

Thank you very much!

My response:

California Civil Code section 3344. Then, follow that Statute to all of the various case law.

IAAL

I

infinity2

Perfect, that was exactly what I needed.

As a follow up question, does this statute apply to related inanimate objects. For example, if there was a photo of an accident with a car and a person in it and a photo with just the car, are both covered?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

infinity2 said:
Perfect, that was exactly what I needed.

As a follow up question, does this statute apply to related inanimate objects. For example, if there was a photo of an accident with a car and a person in it and a photo with just the car, are both covered?

My response:

No. That's called "evidence".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">