• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm on LTD and they want me to pay them back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?KY

I'm on LTD and they want me to pay them back if I get SSD. I was wondering if they can make me pay them back since I paid for the insurance every week out of my paycheck? They also told me that if my kids draw a check off me that I would have to pay them out of that too. That doesn't sound right to me since they want to take my kids money from them. They sent me a paper to sign as an agreement to pay them back if I get SSD. If this was in there policy why would they want me to sign an agreement form? Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

Yes and there is a formula for this because you are only allowed a maximum benefit, if and or when you qualify for SSDI there is usually a lumpsum check with arrears in it dating back to the begining of the qualified disability. You would have to pay back what ever the difference between what SSDI paid and the maximum LTD. Dependents are separate unless your LTD s paying you for dependents, then the same rule applies, so it is important to distinguish between the two.

You have a lot of things going on in your life.

rmet4nzkx

My LTD is not paying for my dependents. The LTD is paying me 60% of what I was making at my job. It took me almost a year to get the benefits from the LTD company. It also says something about taking off for medical bills, lawyer fees, and some other things that I can not remember right now. Would my wifes medical bills count toward this since they count what ever she draws off me? My wife has been unable to work if you have read the other post I put on this site you know why. I have been paying on those as much as I can. The limits on my LTD is for 2 years which is almost up.

Thanks for your help.

rmet4nzkx

It is extreemly difficult to qualify for SSDI especially on the first attempt. You have a lot of things happening in your life right now and several threads here and think you should consult an attorney about all your options because a little bit here and a little bit there may cause you to miss the boat. I can't say what your LTD plan states and you might not even have the most recent update, something to request, and if your LDT is nearing the end you may be facing return to work, early retirement, disability retirement or termination.

My doctors have told me that I can't return to work do to my condition. So I'm stuck with what ever happen to me. Thanks for all of your help.

D

d8ddysgirl

If you do end up getting SSDI then YES you will have to pay back LTD. It would be double dipping and that is against the law to collect of of 2 agencies the same or close to equal amount.

Your wives medical bills counts nothing and can not be added to anything.

LTD goes until your are 65, or if your not deemed disabled anymore. I dont get where the 2 years is coming in.

d8ddysgirl

The LTD insurance that I have through my work only cover me for 2 years. I was asking about my wifes medical bills because this LTD company told me that if my wife or kids draw anything off me that I would have to pay them back for what my wife and kids draw. Which doesn't make sense because they pay me 60% of what I was make at my job and don't pay extra for dependents.

Then they said something about they take off the amount owed back to them if you have medical bills. I was thinking that if they want you to pay them back if your family draws off you. Then why can't they take off for medical bills that I have to pay for. How do you get my wifes medical bills count nothing and can not be added to anything? Don't get mad this is just a question because the company wants me to repay them. And they want to use what me wife and kids draw off of me to figure out how much I have to pay them back. So why not use my familys(wife) medical bills and stuff to of set that? I had to pay for them.

D

d8ddysgirl

Who is telling you that your bills and what your wife draws off of you can be taken off?

Do you have that letter you can write in here?

d8ddysgirl

The LTD Insur. Co is the one that says that if my wife and kids draw off my SSD that they take that into account when I have to repay them. They also say something about medical bills, lawyer fees, and other stuff being decucted off of what I owe them but I don't know if that includes my family's medical bills or just mine. You would think it would be my family's since I have to pay for there medical expenses. I will try to find the letter and put it on here for you. Thanks for your Help.

rmet4nzkx

zcarpilot said:
is this federal or state? my ltd stopped at 5 years, still waiting on ssdi for a decision.
This thread is from last year, please don't hijack a thread, please start your own thread with your question and facts.

d8ddysgirl said:
If you do end up getting SSDI then YES you will have to pay back LTD. It would be double dipping and that is against the law to collect of of 2 agencies the same or close to equal amount.

Your wives medical bills counts nothing and can not be added to anything.

LTD goes until your are 65, or if your not deemed disabled anymore. I dont get where the 2 years is coming in.

LTD usually only last 2 years, sometimes less depending on the contract. SSDI will last until you are 65 if you can manage to qualify.
To qualify for SSDI, you can not be able to work at any job, not just the work you are qualified for.
Good luck SSDI is extremely difficult to qualify for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">