• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k) rollover to ira

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaelbe

What is the name of your state? NY
I rollover my 401(k) to Ira , and I have a beneficiary, but I know that when you are 71 1/2 years by law you have to take this money. My question is how I can do in order not to take this money and continue having my beneficiary,I should transfer to Ira-Roth, or another account ? Please advice me. Thanks.

Beth3

You should speak to someone at the financial institution where you have your IRA and see what options you have and if there is any way around the forced distribution requirement. Your question is outside the scope of this board.

Veronica1228

Here is the rule on IRAs.

The IRS requires IRA owners over the age of 70-1/2 to take
Minimum Distributions each year.

IRA owners over age 70-1/2 must begin taking Distributions
regardless of whether they want to or whether they are retired.

The Required Beginning Date (RBD) for Distributions is
April 1 of the year after the owner reached age 70-1/2.

You are not allowed to make any additional contributions once you hit 70 1/2 yrs of age.

Your financial institution can help you calculate your minimum distribution. You may also want to see a tax advisor since your distributions will be taxable.

You can keep your IRA as is. Minimum distributions must begin at age 70 1/2, and are figured by taking the year end value of your account, and dividing it by your remaining life expectancy(IRS has tables for this). This gives you the minimum amount you need to take out for the year. The rest you can leave in. Converting your IRA to a Roth means that you would have to pay tax on the entire account all at once, which usually is not the best way to handle it.
Typically, the minimum distribution amount is not that large, relative to the account, so just take out your minimums each year, keep your IRA open, leave your beneficiary as is, and consult a tax advisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">