• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this get really ugly? (Shoplifting)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thespartan

What is the name of your state? Washington

Alright, so heres the deal, Im 18, I have 2 MIP's and 3 Traffic Violations. The MIP's are both differed. A friend and I were just caught shoplifting from a major sporting goods store. I was caught with merchandise totaling $30. We were caught in the state of washington, and I will be leaving to school in california at the end of this month (august) we were not arrested, but we were detained by the store security. We had our pictures taken, and wont be allowed into the store for a year. I guess my question would be what to plea, and what to expect when i recieve my court notice, I will have forwarded all mail I recieve in WA down to my new residence in CA. So i expect to get the notice there. Will I have to travel back up to WA? or can I appear in court in CA? Thanks for any help. Im a little worried that my prior convictions might have a pretty ugly affect on the outcome of this very huge mistake on my part.

CdwJava

IF it goes to court ... unless the police responded, chances are the store chose to deal with this 'in-house' and you might be subject to a civil assessment penalty.

However, if you do have to go to court you WILL have to travel home to deal with it in WA. The CA courts will not have jurisdiction and will not even be involved in the matter.

Carl

JETX

Oh, and guess what other good news you get??
If this is made into a criminal charge, there is a good chance that your 'deferrals' on the MIP's will be revoked making them both into 'full blown' convictions, and you will get the opportunity to enjoy the FULL accountability for your actions!!

Ignoring the traffic citations for a minute, you clearly have a problem.... with two MIP's and now a shoplifting charge. At what point do you expect to grow up and become a responsible adult??

rmet4nzkx

Just because you have had so much trouble before leaving for college
and knowing the pressures you will face trying to stick to the straight and narrow
once you attend college I think you might want to read this thread about what happened to a college student caught urinating in public when he couldn't hold it going from party to party.
This is somehting to avoid, at least you won't be able to say you weren't warned.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=189634&highlight=urination :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">