• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When would it be self dealing..?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatsagirltodo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?WI

I have asked several questions here and you all have been great! Now i have some more.

Ok awhile back i asked the estate lawyer and executor in writting for the estate accounting from the very begining to now. Still have not gotten that. This estate is small (according to the estate lawyer it all should of been wrapped up in 6-8 months time) now we are going on 2 years plus. The reason being Executor(my brother) was trying to find a way to keep the house for himself. He let the house sit empty for over a year, while the house sat empty he did not a thing to keep it maintained. Finally he-executor moves his family into the house(they have been living there now for almost 1 year). Now the house is still in my mom's name. I am pretty sure the executor has been taking the estate's money to pay his own bills also.

Now to get to my question. The executor wants all the money back he paid for the mortgage while he was living there! I say he cannot do that. The house could of been very easily rented out on a short term, that way the renter would of been paying the mortgage and the property taxes, while the estate was making a little money(i know this for a fact, called several real-estate offices and checked local papers to see the fair market value rent in the area and someone else paying rent would of footed the bill for the estate). Now executor wants that money back, even though he and his family are living in the house and it is still in mom's name, not any of the heirs.Also wouldn't it be self dealing since he set such a low fee to "rent" the house to his self? The estate still picked up the bill for the property taxes, home-owners insurance, and possibly still part of the mortgage. Like i said rent could of been charged to a renter and the amount of rent would of paid all those bills. Do to this self act he lost the estate lots of money. On top of this all the estate lawyer has no accounting for the estate! The executor never gave him anything on accounting. Now the executor is telling me the estate has a very large bill. He will not say for what. I know the amount he told me and it is alot of money that the estate owes. When i get the accounting(if i ever do), will that tell me how every dime was spent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">