• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom passed away, no will, sister keeping everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kulyena

What is the name of your state? washington state

alittle over a month ago my mother passed away from cancer. I have 2 younger sisters and a brother, my mother left no will. i lived out of state for the last 7 yrs as well as my youngest sister. this sister made arrangments to go back to washington to take care of are mother a few months before her death. i had not been close to my mother for about 7 yrs (over a stupid argument), so the only news i ever heard was through my youngest sister. she neglected to let me know how sick mom was getting, or that she moved back to washington. by the time i found out, it was to late to fly down and see her.
my younger sister says mom signed the title off to her mobile home sometime during the week and a half she left the nursing home and died at home. she was under some heavy medications while in the nursing home as well as more added after she came home, which im sure isnt legal for her to have signed anything.after mom passed away younger sister goes to court house and tries to get the mobile home in her name, but i guess they told her she needed some other documents, that she doesnt have. this sister will not let any of us into the mobile home, she only opens the door a crack and stands there like she is guarding the entrance.
as far as i know nothing is being done, she had no will, and i dont think there is even any kind of probate going on.. none of us have money for an lawyer right now.
the mobile home is in a trailer park, the space is rented. none of the utilities have been taken out of my moms name and my sister has been living there since are mother died.
what can i do?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Is this for real?
You have a fight with your mother 7 years ago and move out of state having no contact with her. Of course, it was a "stupid argument".
None of the children have enough money to hire an attorney.
Youngest sister moved in and took care of dying mother and was deeded trailer prior to death.
You did not visit mother prior to death but now you want her megar estate or at least your share of it.
Now you and your other siblings want the trailer given to the only child who cared for your mother prior to death, how much can this be worth?
No will and 1 month since death.
PLease, you figure out what to do.
I'm glad you are not my child.

K

kulyena

my sister came back an only took care of her for 1 1/2 weeks, my sister had been gone for 7 years also.. we lived in the same state, even worked in the same place for awhile.. my sister was sneeky, lied, and other things ,from what she told me, she had my mom sign it so it wouldnt go thru probate, the title was left blank, she left it to no one, only signed it off.. my sister has kept it in her possission , no one has even seen it..
i dont want the mobile home, my other sister and brother dont want it either.. but its sale could benefit all of us alittle, its not worth very much...
its the idea she decieved alot of people, and is going behind backs to do this..including my other sister, she is the one that took care of my mother, took her to dr. apointments, kemo for the last year.. and she doesnt want are younger sister having it either cause of her actions since she has been back in state.. my younger sister told my sister she wanted the trailer put in her name when she moved back here to take care of mom.. after she got here, mom was in a nursing home.. my younger sister went thru everthing at my moms home, finding the title and im guessing anything else she wanted to keep, she went thru moms cloths, threw stuff out, moved furniture around, took down pictures, put my moms favorite chair outside on the porch.. yeah thats what my mother had to see when she came home to die.. not her house, but my sisters.....

umm yeah an arguement, and im stubburn like my mother.. it was the first time in my life i had ever spoken up and talked back to my mother.. im almost 45 yrs old... how can you judge me without knowing all the facts.. and you dont btw

Last edited:
K

kulyena

new development

now there are bills coming in, a 800.00 one from a Dr. that medicare wont pay for, the sister im staying with right now, called the phone company yesterday to see if my sister that is living and trying to keep the mobile home has put the phone in her name yet, she hasnt, and there is an old phone bill , plus an old Dr. bill that went to collections thats around 500.00.. none of us have the money to pay thoee off..
what can be done, please can someone give some advice?????

Dandy Don

This estate is essetially bankrupt (more debts than assets), so there is nothing that needs to be done, except to inform any creditors that there are no assets to pay the bills.

Mobile home (if it is worth anything at all) can be sold only by whoever is the legal administrator of the estate, but even if that was sold, the creditors might find out and then have first rights to take any monies from the sale.

K

kulyena

there is no administrator, everything is up in the air, nothing has been done.. my younger sister is still living in the mobile, acting as if she owns it, she wont even let anyone pass through the front door. she also has everything in the mobile that my mom left, sentamental items mostly that me and my other sister would like to have, one is 2 family bibles left from my dads and my moms side of their families , sister living in mobile wanted them cremated with mom!!!!... were hopeing she didnt do that, there was also jewlery left by a great aunt and grandmother that has suposably dissapeared, along with a ring that my other grandmother willed to me (ring my grandfather had made for grandmother for there 40th wedding aniversary ) and my mother had it, and it seems to have dissapeared also according to my younger sister in the mobile, this ring ment alot to me, ALOT of sentimental value..
and yes we were trying to figure out how to sell the mobile to pay off the debts but with the younger sister living in the mobile and acting the way she is we dont know what to do , and no the mobile isnt worth alot, maybe 10,000 at the most..

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">