• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robert Barry

I just bought 53 vacant acres in Michigan. I discovered after closing that the neighbor abuting the rear of the property is maintaining a trail (mowed) that loops through about 5 acres in the back corner of my propery. There are a couple of old chairs in the woods next to the trail so I assume he's hunting there. The path does not access anything in particular and I don't know how long it's been there. The former owner of the property said his brother had allowed some people to hunt the property but didn't know who they were - it may have been this neighbor. Has the neighbor established an easement? Can I simply block off the trail? I don't have a survey but I do have detailed arial photographs that show my property line.

BelizeBreeze

If you don't want anyone on your property and you can prove the trail infringes on your property (by survey) then put up a fence. Unless the neighbors claim adverse possession (which they would have to prove in court) or can prove that the former landholder legally gave them an right to use easement, they are out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">