• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

that's showbiz?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jyoung

custodial parent in fl. (shared custody) wants to move w/ 8 yr old to NY to further
a successful child modeling/acting career. I
have been helpful in encouraging the career
thus far to the point of skipping visitations since the kid was working, but
now I don't want to let the kid go away (she
now has a 3 yr old half-sister me and my current had and they are tight. I filed a
contempt motion re. potential changing of visitation rights w/o permission but do I have a leg to stand on since I have supported
the career thus far. I did'nt want to deny
something to a very talented child, but I don't think I should have to lose her either.
Any suggestions on the tactics for the hearing? (There are no contracted "jobs" or
shows as of yet but obviously NY would result in increased potential for this kid)

U

Ukiah

This is a little confusing, and needs a bit more info. Does Non-custodial have visitation with child?

Either way, it is what is in the best interest of the child and you can not be denied access to the child nor can you deny access to the child. Seek a reputable attorney and see what you get in court.

Keep us posted!

Ukiah

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

jyoung

thanks U. I am the non-custodial and I have
the usual every other weekend, etc. minimums
but these have been interfered with due to
the modeling and acting jobs from time to time. I agreed, perhaps foolishly, to lose time with the kid, as I wished to help promote the career as well. That's my dilemma, as now I don't think it wise for an
8 yr. old to move to NY to further a career...

MySonsMom

What does the child want..

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

jyoung

Great question M.S.'M; I had the opportunity to take my daughter and lunch and
New Year's services Saturday. I asked if she was enjoying modeling and acting and out of the blue came "I love acting more and I want to move to NY". When I asked why she said she "felt there were better opportunities for acting jobs there than in
Florida" Now this is a smart, gifted, precocious eight year old but I'm convinced,
knowing her mom as I do that she's taking every opportunity to mindmeld my kid. I got
the child thinking about what she would be
giving up, but I don't want to play the heavy
in this situation. I told that mom and dad may not agree on this one and she knows all about what judges are for and I assured her
that I loved her, told her I'm happy she's a good actress but first and foremost she's a
little girl. Now part deux:
Mom's about to get served with a preemptive
contempt on visitation and she's been threatening me on some financial issues and I need some sage advice. I know this will be seperate from the visitation ( I hope) the issues are:
1) child support-- paid in full, on time, up to date. I pay 100% for six years now, she
has been in my eyes and probably realistically woefully underemployed, has a
real estate license, lives with her mom and dad rent free, wants for nothing, plenty of time for running the kid to modeling jobs
2) past obligations: On the morning of the
final hearing her attorney (I represented myself) convinced me to add a $2500 "family loan" to my obligation, payable in three years. I wanted to get this thing over with
so I agreed, but never paid because I feel it
was coerced. I also gave up all claims to the family restaurant we jointly owned and as the "business" and "family" were pretty much in the same pot I don't think I'm obligated.
3) A commissioner at one point ordered me to pay a $500. attorney bill of hers; I have never paid it nor heard about it as I told the ex that I would go to jail first and she could explain to my daughter why she had Daddy put in the pokey. Both of these items
are listed as unsatisfied in the court files.
Can I get out of these obligations?

MySonsMom

Probably not. If you signed the agreement to pay those debts, then you are responsible for them. If you choose not too, you will suffer the concequences.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">