• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VERY scared....please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssoomm

pa
I am being sued in a few days for a credit card debt of $5,000 and I can not pay as I lost my job. I am so scared they will come and take all my household things away. I do not own a house or property or a car. Only personal stuff. Can they do this to me? Please if anyone has been through this please help me if you can.

Thank you so much whoever replys!!

BL

If a Judgment is entered against you and if the Creditor takes collection actions, they can not usually take your personal belongings,including those necessary to live by ( IE: household Items ).

JETX

Blonde Lebinese said:
If a Judgment is entered against you and if the Creditor takes collection actions, they can not usually take your personal belongings,including those necessary to live by ( IE: household Items ).
Actually, that isn't true. The judgment creditor has the right to seize or levy any non-exempt assets that you might have. In Pennsyvlania, you can exempt the following personal property:
"Bibles. Schoolbooks. Sewing machines. Clothing. Tangible personal property at an international exhibit sponsored by U.S. government. Uniform and accoutrements." plus a 'wildcard exemption' of an additional $300 value of any property.

Any personal property beyond those exemptions can be seized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">