• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Led undercar kit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? MN

How can I find out the state law on whether or not the "kits" that are sold to accent the interior or exterior with lights are legal in our state? If they are legal are there restrictions on when they can be used?

Last edited:

dequeendistress

I got lost in that site:

Most states will not allow the display of lights which are blue, red or green on a p.o.v. Also, you will find that most states will not allow the display of the ground effect or other non essential lighting while the vehicle is in motion or otherwise on the public roadways. I would suggest, if you must spend your money in such a frivolous fashion, unless you are using your vehicle in car shows, that you only display (turn on) your non essential lights while parked off the roadway, and I do not mean while on the shoulder.

Sorry I am not state specific: You may try a search of your states' police website or try http://www.statedrivinglaw.com/index.html

JETX

Happy Trails said:
How can I find out the state law on weather or not the "kits" that are sold to accent the interior or exterior with lights are legal in our state? If they are legal are there restrictions on when they can be used.
The Minnesota Statutes are pretty clear on this....
§169.64 Prohibited lights; exceptions.
"Subd. 2. Colored light. Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter."
Source: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/64.html

Happy Trails

JETX said:
The Minnesota Statutes are pretty clear on this....
§169.64 Prohibited lights; exceptions.
"Subd. 2. Colored light. Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter."
Source: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/64.html
**Thank you all for your help.

**dequeendistress, I agree with the frivolous part, teenagers on the other hand... But hey it's his money he earned it. But I did tell him to research it first.

**JETX, that link was the one I was looking for, thank you. I wish I had posted the question a week ago. I had hoped my son would have researched it first. However, he said that they were not legal while in motion or on the roadways, so maybe that didn't matter to him. So if he is just sitting in a parking lot, let's say Starbuck's, he should be just fine? I just don't want him to do something that he could get ticketed for. Even if he were in a parking lot, my concern would be he could be a distraction to other vehicles that are in motion.

**CdwJava, what do you think?

**Seems strange to me, some semi's are lit up like a Christmas tree. Maybe they are from out-of-state.

CdwJava

I have no idea about MN ... CA's lighting laws are very similar to the one cited for MN, but there is still a lot of question as to exactly what is "authorized" and what is not. Some say that unless it is specifically prohibited, it is permitted ... others say that unless it is specifically permitted, it is exempted. This is one of those things that varies by county.

Interior lighting, and exterior running lights are easy - we have laws directly covering that ... its the undercarriage and indirect lighting where the light is not directly seen from the outside that is confusing.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">