• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My personnel records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ccf815

South Carolina

Am I entitled to copies of everything in my personnel records or would a lawyer have to request those for me?

I have been terminated, do I ask my HR rep. at my division or the corporate HR rep?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Am I entitled to copies of everything in my personnel records"

No, you are not. Under SC law you are entitled to VIEW (not have a copy of) any records regarding any exposure to toxic substances. It is entirely up to your employer whether or not to provide copies,or even let you see, any other records. They may do so, if you ask, but they are not legally obligated to do so.

"or would a lawyer have to request those for me?"

Unless the lawyer's request was accompanied by a subpoena, the employer does not have to supply a copy of your personnel file to an attorney, either.

"do I ask my HR rep. at my division or the corporate HR rep? "

That depends upon how your records are filed, which we would not know. Start with your local rep and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">