• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Phillie08

What is the name of your state?MN
Somone claims I owe them 275 for legal fees. Do they have a case? Its my ex I had a restraning order aganist her but was it dropped because we talked it out. Then I got in trouble with the police for fileing a false police report and they say I owe them 275 for their attorney for both cases.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

I'm not sure I understand what the hell you just said, but I think the answer is "no". Most of the time, (i.e. absent a contract to do so or certain types of claims), legal fees are not recoverable.

JETX

Phillie08 said:
Somone claims I owe them 275 for legal fees. Do they have a case? Its my ex I had a restraning order aganist her but was it dropped because we talked it out. Then I got in trouble with the police for fileing a false police report and they say I owe them 275 for their attorney for both cases.
From your confusing report.... I would say yes. If someone incurred legal fees due to your filing a false report, then you could owe them the fees that they paid. And if you don't pay, they will likely be able to get a judgment against you.

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
From your confusing report.... I would say yes. If someone incurred legal fees due to your filing a false report, then you could owe them the fees that they paid. And if you don't pay, they will likely be able to get a judgment against you.

Is that what he said?? I took it that he withdrew his OOP voluntarily ("worked it out") and then filed a subsequent police report which had nothing to do with the OOP and for which the false report problem arose. So how would that make him liable for attorney's fees for the original OOP?

JETX

You Are Guilty said:
Is that what he said??
That is the way I read it.

"I had a restraning order aganist her"
Okay.

"but was it dropped because we talked it out."
Okay.

"Then I got in trouble with the police for fileing a false police report and they say I owe them 275 for their attorney for both cases."
Here is the problem as I see it.... presumably the 'false police report' was in obtaining the TRO. Therefore my post, that if 'they' incurred costs in defending against the false report, the OP would be liable.

Or it is possible that this 'false police report' has absolutely nothing to do with TRO.... and my response would still apply.

Bottom line.... if 'they' incurred legal fees in defending against the false report, the OP is likely liable for them.

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
That is the way I read it.

"I had a restraning order aganist her"
Okay.

"but was it dropped because we talked it out."
Okay.

"Then I got in trouble with the police for fileing a false police report and they say I owe them 275 for their attorney for both cases."
Here is the problem as I see it.... presumably the 'false police report' was in obtaining the TRO. Therefore my post, that if 'they' incurred costs in defending against the false report, the OP would be liable.

Or it is possible that this 'false police report' has absolutely nothing to do with TRO.... and my response would still apply.

Bottom line.... if 'they' incurred legal fees in defending against the false report, the OP is likely liable for them.

I'm not arguing the liability under ther false report (under either possible version), but as I see it, if the original TRO was wholly unrelated to the false report (ignoring that it was "worked out"), how does a subsequent false police report create liability for the initial TRO defense?

That is, assuming the TRO wasn't bogus (I do realize that in all likelihood, it was), but does the filing of the false report create an assumption that all prior claims were false as well? (Because if it doesn't, I can't figure out what basis there is to make him pay for the portion of the fees for the presumed-legit TRO).

Back to the OP: No one mentioned that 270 bucks for a lawyer for two cases is a freaking steal and a half. (If I go into a courtroom, it costs that much just for me to get past the metal detectors). Be glad she didn't hit you with a bill for a few grand.

JETX

You Are Guilty said:
if the original TRO was wholly unrelated to the false report (ignoring that it was "worked out"), how does a subsequent false police report create liability for the initial TRO defense?
Clearly, ANY false police report that causes the other party to incur costs (attorney, bail, etc.) could make the reportee liable for those costs.th a bill for a few grand.[/QUOTE]

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Clearly, ANY false police report that causes the other party to incur costs (attorney, bail, etc.) could make the reportee liable for those costs.

We're on the same page with that part, I'm not arguing at all. The thing is if the TRO wasn't a "false police report" and had nothing to do with the subsequent incident that was a false police report, on what grounds is the OP liable to the legal bills for the TRO (and only the TRO)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">