• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

delta_2_4

What is the name of your state?I'm currently employed in Rhode Island at a major retailer who offers a tuition reimbursement program. After applying for tuition reimbursement as specified by the program I received a letter (that I have saved) stating the following:

"
This statement confirms that your Application for Tuition Reimbursement has been approved. You will receive a reimbursement amount totaling $3,334.00 in your paycheck within 3 weeks from the statement date above.

"

The statement date was listed as 06-13-2004.
4 weeks later I called the benefits center as I had not received any reimbursement. :confused: I was told that they would have to contact the tuition reimbursement department and get back to me within 2 days. I waited 4 days and after recieveing no call :( , I called the benefits center back and was told I should receive my reimbursement in 2 weeks instead of this week as my check had already been cut for that week. I received half of the amount stated in the letter 2 weeks later (about 2 to 3 weeks from the date of this post). I have called the benefits center and in a nut shell was told that the "wording of the letter is confusing" and that the $3334.00 is the total amount awarded for this current year, $1667 I received after my fall semester of school and the $1667 I just received a few weeks ago for the spring semester. :mad: :mad: :mad: The program outline says that no more than $1667 would be awarded per semester and no more than $5000 per year.

The letter is misleading in my opinion, almost to the point of a flat out lie. :mad: I was wondering if it is worth while to try and pursue the matter in a small claims court, or other court, or if I even have a legitimate argument at all about being entitled to the amount stated in the letter?

Any guidance is greatly appriciated - thanks much!

Beth3

I was wondering if it is worth while to try and pursue the matter in a small claims court, or other court, or if I even have a legitimate argument at all about being entitled to the amount stated in the letter? Unless there is a bonafide employment contract in place with tuition guarantees, you aren't entitled to anything. Offering tuition assistance is entirely a matter of company policy and they can administer their policy any way they wish, including interpreting confusing wording in their favor.

What you should do is speak with your manager ask him/her to review the situation and see if he/she is willing to intervene on your behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">