• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job being re-structured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dinosousa

connecticut
I was originally hired to work monday-thursday 32 hour work week. my employer has informed me that the job is being re-structured to a monday-friday 40 hour work week. I can't take the new position due to prior commitments. What are my options? What happens if i don't except the new job?

Last edited:

Beth3

What are my options? Other than deciding to accept the 40-hour per week job, none.

What happens if i don't except the new job? Presumably your employer will terminate your employment, in which case you should file for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new part-time job.

dinosousa

Beth3- Thank you for the response.

So if i understand you correctly. I should let my employer terminate me as appose to me be forced to resign?

Beth3

Legally, there's no difference. Being given an option of "resign or be fired" is the same as being fired as both are involuntary terminations.

dinosousa

job being re-structured

CT. My employer is saying by not accepting the new position it's a automatic resigination. They asked me when did I want to make this resignation effective now or in two weeks after my scheduled vacation. I know when I file for unemployment that they will fight it by saying I resigned. Is this true?

Beth3

Probably. Your employer offered you a job - you refused. Your employer certainly may opt to consider that a resignation if they choose to. They will likely contest benefits based on the fact that work was available and you declined.

For UC eligibility purposes, how your separation is categorized is irrelevant. The ONLY question is whether your State's UC reg's allow for benefits under your particular circumstances - a part-time employee who was given the option of working 40 hours/week or being unemployed.

dinosousa

job re-structure

CT. I am considered full time at 32 hrs. I receive benefits as do anyone at my company working 32-40 hrs. Also I said I could accept the new position but needed 1 month to make arrangments on my other job. They claimed they needed someone on the new job immediately. ( I also offered to job share with someone or work 4 10 hr days)
Thanks for your help Beth3

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's still a legal termination, and whether or not you will be eligible to receive unemployment will depend on CT regulations, which no one here knows.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">