• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water splashing on neighbor's fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newguy2000

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi everyone, I am new on this board and have a question. Please excuse the rambling since I guess I need to let some air out.

The issue is in regards to my neighbor's fence and our water sprinkler. He is errecting a new fence and DEMAND that we fix our water sprinkler so that no water would splash on his fence. He said that we would MAKE us pay to repaint it if water does splash on the fence. We adjusted our water sprinkler, but found that it is impossible to have no water splash on his fence (the boundary is just too close). He built his fence on the property line while our water sprinkler is next to the wall of our house. We do what we can to minimize water sprinkling (since we know we wouldn't want it on our new fence either). We adjust so the the water sprinkler wouldn't sprinkle so high. However even occassionally wind would carry the water over on to his fence.

With that being said, almost all the neighbors' fences including our own's have water marks from the other neighbor's sprinkler. And no problem existed. I actually called my city code department and ask about this issue. The inspector said the neighbor have no recourse against this as occasional water sprinkling on other neighbor's fence is unavoidable.

My question is, is there anything he can actually do about this issue? Does anyone know any laws regarding this. We don't want to have problem since we live here, but I guess I can only tolerate so much.

Thanks ahead for all your responses.

newguy2000

Happy Trails

I'm not a lawyer. But in my opinion, the inspector seems to feel they have no recourse. It is always hard when you have issues with neighbors; because obviously you have to live next to them.

I would tell them nicely that you have adjusted your sprinklers and hope this will prevent splashing. If they get nasty I would say there is no city code that you are in violation with.

For heavens sake, are they going to build an umbrella over the length of their fence too? Wouldn't want the raindrops getting my precious fence wet.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Tell him to go fuk himself and waterproof the damn thing. They make waterproof paint, don'tchaknow! What's he going to do when it rains? Or when a bird pisses on it?

He can't do a thing to you, and readjust your sprinkler to the way you want them - - not the way he's demanding. It's your property, and if he wants to build a fence, then he takes the good right along with the bad.

What an ass-hole you have for a neighbor.

You wouldn't want to see me deal with a petty neighbor like that!

IAAL

N

newguy2000

Thank you so much for all your replies. I agree that the best situation is that we can settle this peacefully. However, yesterday I did tell him that I will adjust the sprinkler to minimize water splashing but that I am not in violation of city code if water does splash on his fence.

Guess what, he went beserk on me. He started yelling profanity and calling me names. My simple reply was that he should be more civilize if he wants to carry a discussion. I guess that infuriated him more. What's worst, he started pointing a sharp object (a yard scissor) at me as he is talking. I had to issue him several warnings (to stop pointing that thing at me) before he stop. As expected the conversation didn't end well.

After the conversation ended, I realize how foolish I was. At the point he started pointing sharp object at me, I should end the conversation and call the police. I feel a legitimate threat. This guy have trouble controlling his temper. During the converation, I was too foolish to realize it.

His final statement is that he would get an attorney if water gets on his fences. This is so unfortunate that we have such petty neighbor.

rmet4nzkx

Call and report the incident to the police, let them "discuss" with him his options and that threatening with a lethal weapon is a serious charge and that you are entitled to get a restraining order against him if he continues his threats.

If he wants to pay an attorney tell him he doesn't have a case, let mim. Who is he going to sue when it rains?

Go down to the court house and pick up the paperwork for a restraining order so you have it ready if and or when you need it. Be sure to get a copy of the police report.

rmet4nzkx

nextwife said:
And who does he expect to go after when it RAINS on the danged fence?????
According to :

Lerner and Loewe The defendent in the instance of RAIN a way out WEST (Texas) would be TESS. MARIAH for the sprinkler's drops that are carried on the wind. In the case of FIRE : JOE and WIND : MIRIAH

They Call the Wind Mariah
Way out west they have a name for rain and wind and fire;
The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe, and they call the wind Mariah.
Mariah blows the stars around and sets the clouds a-flyin';
Mariah makes the mountains sound like folks up there were dyin'.

Mariah, Mariah,
They call the wind Mariah.

Before I knew Mariah's name, or heard her wail and whinin',
I had a gal and she had me, and the sun was always shinin'.
And then one day I left that gal, I left her far behind me,
And now I'm lost, I'm so darn lost, not even God can find me.

Mariah, Mariah,

Way out west they have a name for rain and fire only,
And when you're lost and all alone, there ain't no word for lonely.
Well I'm a lost and lonely man, without a star to guide me,
Mariah blow my love to me, I need a gal beside me.

Mariah, Mariah,
;)

N

newguy2000

Once again, thanks for the responses. Only time will tell what he'll do next.

nextwife

Then there's snow drifts that melt against the fence.... I just love that someone thinks their outside fence shouldn't get wet!

HELLO! It's OUTSIDE!!!!! :rolleyes:

dequeendistress

Getting cold in Texas I hear...

You have a much more serious issue if the man is indeed threatening you, I would avoid contact with the man as much as possible.

I have a high pressure sprayer for sale, interested?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

nextwife said:
Then there's snow drifts that melt against the fence.... I just love that someone thinks their outside fence shouldn't get wet!

HELLO! It's OUTSIDE!!!!! :rolleyes:
Snow drifts against the fence in Texas is usually not a problem you can tell this, in northern states they call this big wide flat shovel a "snow shovel", in Texas the same shovel is called a "manure shovel"

Boy am I full of it today ;)

Happy Trails

newguy2000 said:
Once again, thanks for the responses. Only time will tell what he'll do next.
**Geez, what a jerk. I wouldn't be surprised when your sprinklers do wet his fence that he will come up with some plan to vandalize your sprinkler. I think I would set up a surveilance camera or maybe even get a pitbull.

**When we meet up with these type of crazies; my motto is, avoid them as much as you can and do this often.

N

newguy2000

Thanks for the continuing replies. Regarding the high pressure water sprayer offer, did I mention this guy is pointing a sharp object at me when I simply tell him that I do not violate city code ;). I don't think I would gamble with my life ;)

We do have a dog in our backyard that will bark when there are outsider. Regarding surveilence camera, are those expensive? I am hoping the home owner association will help us settle this. As I was driving around the neighborhood, I notice most (if not all) of the fences have white water marks on the outside. Somehow, these neighbors can coexist peacefully.

But joking aside, I will be more cautious when dealing with him.

dequeendistress

Yes, I realized that he had a sharp object, I also realized that you were trying to talk to the guy. Look, there will be NO REASONING with this jerk of a neighbor, so don't attempt it. Tomorrow it will not be the sprinkler it will be the insects from your yard are invading his or some other uncontrollable act. Water your grass and his fence all you wish until someone with AUTHORITY advises you otherwise, he can always move his fence back if it were that much of a worry to him or protect the fence as IAAL stated with the proper coating. You know what, how bout ordering a big load of chicken manure for your lawn...you know that stuff fertilizes our hay fields well. :D

Happy Trails

newguy2000 said:
Thanks for the continuing replies. Regarding the high pressure water sprayer offer, did I mention this guy is pointing a sharp object at me when I simply tell him that I do not violate city code ;). I don't think I would gamble with my life ;)

We do have a dog in our backyard that will bark when there are outsider. Regarding surveilence camera, are those expensive? I am hoping the home owner association will help us settle this. As I was driving around the neighborhood, I notice most (if not all) of the fences have white water marks on the outside. Somehow, these neighbors can coexist peacefully.

But joking aside, I will be more cautious when dealing with him.
**Cameras can range in price of course, due to quality ect... I found they can start out at around $50.00 and go up from there. You may even find them cheaper. You can check this site out: http://www.00security-cameras.com/, or run a search on your own "Surveillance camera".

Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">