• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No one ever gives me an answer!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Isis69isis

What is the name of your state?Ohio

After3 years of living together, I married my husband in December of 2002, and left him in February of 03 when I found a birth certificate stating he was born 7 years later than he was, I found his social security card showing a different number than what he uses and I also found a bank account in a fake name and debit card with the same. I snuck a payroll stub and it was also in this fake name. He has a child from his first marriage and she's taken him to court a few times for nonpayment as well, and now I see that he can claim no income - under his real name. I even found that his car is registered in his ex's name, and he goes to an insurance agent and pays cash for the policy - in her name - and knowing her schedule, goes to her PO Box before she does each week to check to see if any mail was sent that he should get. When I asked him about all this, he said it was none of my business and he would make me pay if I told anyone.

This seems wrong to me though.

I've tried to send the information to the FBI, the IRS, I've even gone to police stations - it seems odd to me that no one cares. What do I do? Is there anything?

CdwJava

Its because you are not a party to any offense that is being committed. Your best bet might be to let the ex know that he's raiding her PO box, has a job with a different name, and has a vehicle and insurance in her name. The issues are not easy criminal violations that law enforcement can readily sink their teeth into. And since you are not a victim or a party to the offenses (if there is any in Ohio), it makes it even more difficult.

Carl

I

Isis69isis

Thanks for the advise.

I guess I'm just surprised that no one cares that he's doing wrong. The way he acts, if I told he'd be in a lot of trouble.

CdwJava

He probably would be. But, its like calling the police and telling them you saw your neighbor with a checkbook that wasn't his ... it doesn't give them a lot to act on - and it may not be criminal. Until a party to the offense comes forward, its nothing more than a rumor. The police have enough rumors and conjecture to follow up on, adding one more by an estranged or ex spouse is just another potential snipe hunt without something to hang their hat on.

Carl

M

MommaC

Isis69isis said:
When I asked him about all this, he said it was none of my business and he would make me pay if I told anyone.
Given the information in your post, I'd take him at his word. Hell, I have a hard enough time managing one identity, I can only imagine trying to juggle two or three. He'll get ballsy and screw up somewhere along the way. They always do.
Who knows, you may be one of his numerous victims that actually lived to tell her tale, kinda like the girl that escaped from the infamous Ted Bundy. :eek: Forgive my drama... I watch waaay too much forensic files.

Seriously though, if he's being honest with you about anything, it's more than likely his threat to harm you. Just be careful.

dequeendistress

I say forget the man and go along with life unless or until something he does directly affects you.

All matters aside, how do you know which is his real identity?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For that matter, how do you know he's doing anything illegal? Maybe's he's working for the CIA...

(Hey, SOMEONE has to...)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Doe anybody remember "What's My Line" - - with Orson Bean, Kitty Carlisle, Bill Cullen, et al?

"Will the REAL husband please . . . stand up!"

IAAL

C

csleepy22

In your post, you mentioned that he had a child support obligation/order that he was able to dodge, because of his false identity. If I were you, I would contact the Family Court in the county that his order was issued from. The courts take collection of child support VERY seriously, as well as fraudlently dodging it. And while they may not be able to do anything since you were not party to the case, if there IS something that they can do, they will! While child support is not the central issue, hopefully they will take it seriously and investigate the matter, which could lead to a desirable result.

Good Luck

Carlotta :)

M

MommaC

Sleepy's right. Child Support Enforcement does not play around. I made an inquiry into my ex-husband's account just yesterday, because my daughter's insurance card suddenly stopped working. I've been on him to get the "company mixup"(as he called it) cleared up for over two months now. I figured a call to CSE would light a fire under his "company" to speed the process along. My county rep called his company that very day. To make matters worse, he's also four months behind on his support payment, because his company stopped the garnishment of his check. Huge no-no.They may as well have given the judge the finger.

Good call Carlotta!

dequeendistress

Giving the finger is simply an exercise of our rights of free speech and expression: albeit which may result in a contempt of court charge. :D

Just think about whatever it is you do BEFORE you do it. I would NOT have further contact with this man if I were you, particularly if you plan on playing a part in turning him in. How long will it take for him to calculate that it was you, particularly since you already stated he threatened you over this. So, if you follow thru, and mind you I am not saying what he is doing is right, weigh out if it is worth it if you entertain the thought of continuing any type of relationship with him. Bragging rights are not worth being found in the trash bin down the street. Remember if you are a key in any agency discovering his alleged fraudulent activities you may be subpoenaed to testify.

I

Isis69isis

I appreciate all the advice. Some of you are right about being cautious. I had to take my cell phone voice mail, emails I received from him and recordings of the threats he left on my voice mail at work to three different police stations, none of which would do anything unless he physically harmed me - and this was after I left him and found him everywhere I went - even sitting at the end of my street.

The birth certificate did read the name on the marriage license, but he had lied about his age and social security number - I'm wondering if that makes the marriage illegal - does anyone know?

When I was approaching the police about the threats, I even provided them with the proof of his illegal actions and still - no one did anything. I can't beleive it.

I have since moved AGAIN, and am sure that this time, he doesn't know where I am and am just fine with that. :)

I

Isis69isis

I also have to say that I am sorry for anyone fighting for child support. If they contributedto the act, they should accept the responsibility. My "ex" wouldn't tell people his son was his when he did decide to visit - he was his "nephew". None of his friends knew he had a son, and he even tried getting his exwife to have her fiance adopt his son so that he didn't have to pay support. It was sad to see, especially since our visits were him parking his son on the sofa for the weekend and leaving the house all day for "errand" each day he was with us until I put a stop to that. If he was going to visit, that meant he stayed home with his son... that just meant another thing he said he resented me for... I could never understand it... I don't want to see his ex and their son suffer because this guy can't take responsibility for anything or live like a real human being.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">