• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing flyers from owners' doors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

livelychati

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Phoenix, Arizona

Our HOA board has made some huge mistakes and failed to act on a number of issues, while at the same time harassing owners to the point that people are selling and leaving in droves. Now, the rest of us don't want to leave, but want to see the situation change for the better. To that end, we have formed a discussion group on the internet. Two of the owners printed informational flyers with the address of the discussion board and distributed them by placing them on each unit's door.

Not even 20 minutes later, the board president (who is at the same time employed by the board as a maintenance person!!!) came around and took the flyers off the doors!

Question #1 - Isn't it illegal and a conflict of interest to be a president of the board and be an employee of that same board? In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #2 - Isn't it illegal to step on other people's property and remove flyers, or other printed material, from people's front doors? In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #3 - I fell and injured myself due to a hole (size of a 2 qt pack of milk) in the lawn that has been covered by grass. Afterwards, we discovered many other such holes in the lawn in the courtyard. The management company and the board have been informed about it, but have done nothing to fill the holes and remove the danger. Obviously the board failed to act and endangered all owners and guests by leaving the holes unattended. What is the legality of this? What can I do on this particular issue?

Thanks so much for your help! We're really up in arms about all that the board isn't doing, and also about what it is doing wrongly and contrary to our wishes. And yes, we will be signing a petition requesting special meeting to elect a new board before the regular AGM. However, we need to have all arguments and legal reasons for action listed. We want to make sure we have all of our ducks neatly in a row and prevent any chance of failure.

Thanks, again! :)

HomeGuru

livelychati said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Phoenix, Arizona

Our HOA board has made some huge mistakes and failed to act on a number of issues, while at the same time harassing owners to the point that people are selling and leaving in droves. Now, the rest of us don't want to leave, but want to see the situation change for the better. To that end, we have formed a discussion group on the internet. Two of the owners printed informational flyers with the address of the discussion board and distributed them by placing them on each unit's door.

Not even 20 minutes later, the board president (who is at the same time employed by the board as a maintenance person!!!) came around and took the flyers off the doors!

Question #1 - Isn't it illegal and a conflict of interest to be a president of the board and be an employee of that same board? In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #2 - Isn't it illegal to step on other people's property and remove flyers, or other printed material, from people's front doors? In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #3 - I fell and injured myself due to a hole (size of a 2 qt pack of milk) in the lawn that has been covered by grass. Afterwards, we discovered many other such holes in the lawn in the courtyard. The management company and the board have been informed about it, but have done nothing to fill the holes and remove the danger. Obviously the board failed to act and endangered all owners and guests by leaving the holes unattended. What is the legality of this? What can I do on this particular issue?

Thanks so much for your help! We're really up in arms about all that the board isn't doing, and also about what it is doing wrongly and contrary to our wishes. And yes, we will be signing a petition requesting special meeting to elect a new board before the regular AGM. However, we need to have all arguments and legal reasons for action listed. We want to make sure we have all of our ducks neatly in a row and prevent any chance of failure.

**A: hire your own attorney. We do not do free legal research.

JETX

livelychati said:
Isn't it illegal and a conflict of interest to be a president of the board and be an employee of that same board?
Nope.

In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.
Hold your breath!!

Isn't it illegal to step on other people's property and remove flyers, or other printed material, from people's front doors?
Nope.

In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.
Are you still holding your breath???

I fell and injured myself due to a hole (size of a 2 qt pack of milk) in the lawn that has been covered by grass. Afterwards, we discovered many other such holes in the lawn in the courtyard. The management company and the board have been informed about it, but have done nothing to fill the holes and remove the danger. Obviously the board failed to act and endangered all owners and guests by leaving the holes unattended. What is the legality of this?
The legality is that now that YOU are aware of the hazard, YOU must remove it. Start by filling in the holes.

What can I do on this particular issue?
Don't walk across the grass.

Thanks so much for your help!
You are so welcome!!! I am simply all a 'twitter' with joy.

We're really up in arms about all that the board isn't doing, and also about what it is doing wrongly and contrary to our wishes.
Put your arms down and reach into your pockets to pay a local attorney who can look at ALL the issues.

We want to make sure we have all of our ducks neatly in a row and prevent any chance of failure.
And how exactly do you plan on making them stay in line?? I certainly hope you are not going to abuse or mistreat the poor ducks... after all, they normally don't stand too neatly in a row. I would hate to have the 'duck' folks after you.
Oh, and be sure to NOT walk them across that hazardous grass. If they are all in a nice neat row and one falls into one of those holes, they will all fall and are liable to injure themselves (they're not too smart, you know!). There is nothing more pitiful than a bunch of ducks, all standing neat in a row, with each having to lean on crutches. :D

Damn, there you go again.... I was just 'untwittered' and you started it all over again!!

BTW... you are the prettiest shade of blue..... you can breathe now!

L

livelychati

Thanks for the sarcasm :-(

Well ... I don't know what to say! I'm blown away by the sarcasm and terse replies from both members. I didn't expect anyone to do free research - just asked three simple questions in case someone here had similar experiences.

JETX

livelychati said:
Well ... I don't know what to say! I'm blown away by the sarcasm and terse replies from both members. I didn't expect anyone to do free research - just asked three simple questions in case someone here had similar experiences.
It wasn't your questions (and we answered them), it was your demanding tone of "In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist."

Sorry, but we don't take kindly to your asking us like we are taking a test and you are the teacher.

HomeGuru

livelychati said:
Question #1 - In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #2 - In your response, please refer to the law name, article, and item # if it does exist.

Question #3 - What is the legality of this? What can I do on this particular issue?

**A: we would need to do research to answer your questions and "the law name, article and item #" is called a statutory law and/or case law citation.

L

livelychati

Removing flyers from owner's doors

So sorry - I thought I was talking to people who know law and it would not be an imposition - at least the site says: get free advice. So, I thought there were people with expertise in this field who could answer the questions. I had also hoped for people that may have encountered the same problems and already learned what I wanted to learn.

JETX

livelychati said:
So sorry - I thought I was talking to people who know law and it would not be an imposition - at least the site says: get free advice. So, I thought there were people with expertise in this field who could answer the questions. I had also hoped for people that may have encountered the same problems and already learned what I wanted to learn.
Yeah, right!!! And of course, these 'people' would have been able to cite caselaw and provide citations for you, huh??
You got your answers..... and you're welcome.
BTW, when you did you move from New York?? How did I know you were a New Yukker??? Because of your demanding attitude and your pissing and whining when you didn't get everything you wanted. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">