• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this unfair dismissal of a student worker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kliwkram

What is the name of your state?
California
My son (an English University student) had a post as lifeguard/general worker in a summer camp in CA. This was arranged through Camp America. One of his co-workers (also English with post arranged by Camp America) has been sacked for sleeping with a relative of the Boss.
My son has been praised (directly to us) as a good reliable hard worker by both Camp America and senior staff (including camp director) at the camp and all have stated clearly that he was in no way involved with the "offence". This notwithstanding he was advised to leave of his own accord by the boss. He should have remained in post for a further 6 weeks.
He is now unemployed and is dependent on charity from friends of a senior employee at the camp, to give him somewhere to stay whilst Camp America look for a new posting as they have not, as far as we know terminated his participation in the programme.
Is this unfair dismissal? and would he be advised to seek compensation?

Beth3

It's still not clear why your son was asked to leave. A co-worker was dismissed for sleeping with the director's relative but what does that have to do with your son???

Was your son asked to leave because he and the, er, "sex offender" are both from the UK? Or is it because he and the other boy were pals and it's a "guilty by association" situation?

K

kliwkram

is this unfair dismissal of a student worker

Beth3 said:
It's still not clear why your son was asked to leave. A co-worker was dismissed for sleeping with the director's relative but what does that have to do with your son???

Was your son asked to leave because he and the, er, "sex offender" are both from the UK? Or is it because he and the other boy were pals and it's a "guilty by association" situation?
either or both as far as we can understand it all that we can be sure of is that he did nothing wrong, according to Camp America, the camp staff and him

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It makes a very big difference, though. If it's because he's from the UK, he may or may not (depending on the EXACT circumstances) have a case for discrimination based on national origin, which is illegal. However, if it's because he's friends with the other boy and is a guilt by association thing, that's legal, even if unfair.

I suggest that you talk with an employment attorney in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">