• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Engagement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gown not a gift

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My son was engaged to be married, and has since broken up with the girl. When we were planning the wedding I bought her a $700.00 Wedding Gown. I have the receipt, although it is in her name, because of the order for the gown. I asked for the gown back, she refuses to return it, saying a gift is a gift. Do I have the right to sue her in small claims court, because the gown was for her to marry my son in. Since the engagement is broken, does she have the right to keep the gown?

Last edited:

JETX

CatugalCat said:
Do I have the right to sue her in small claims court, because the gown was for her to marry my son in.
You have the right to sue her, in small claims court or otherwise, simply because it is allowed.

Since the engagement is broken, does she have the right to keep the gown?
Though usually used as to claims for the wedding/engagement rings, the issue of 'conditional gifts' may apply. This is the theory that the gown was 'gifted' on condition of the marriage and when that marriage doesn't occur, the 'gifts' should be returned. Whether or not the court accepts this theory in this case is up to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">