• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NSF Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barrios0916

I live in Louisiana. I ordered free trial product online with the stipulation that I cancel withinh 14 days if I do not wish to use the product. The 2nd day I tried it, I called and canceled this order. It obviously did not cancel because the charge still went through on my account. I have since then called and had them debit back my account accordingly. The problem is that while I was battling to get my money returned to my account, I incurred NSF charges. The company that debited my account refuses to refund my NSF fees and my bank tells me that it was not a bank error and therefore, will not recant the NSF fees. The company says that I should have received an email for the cancelation of the product. I did not either time I called to cancel. That is their basis for not refunding the NSF charges. Is there anything I can do?

I cancelled the order that this company was going to charge to my account. They did not cancel it. They charged my account 14 days after I cancelled. I should not have had a problem with any money in my account. At that point there was money to cover my purchases. The fact that the company still took money out of my account without my authorization is the problem. This is why I incurred NSF charges. Now, I hope I have made myself more clear.

Last edited:

gjs8806

Well the NSF charges arent worth doing anything about. I am almost positive that they legally do not have to pay you back becuase they did not take any of your money. I would just forget it becuase there is nothing you can do.

racer72

It is solely up to you, not the bank or others, to make sure you have the funds in your account to cover your purchases. And I would guess the agreement for the use of the product will tell you how long it will take for your refund.

B

barrios0916

gjs8806 said:
Well the NSF charges arent worth doing anything about. I am almost positive that they legally do not have to pay you back becuase they did not take any of your money. I would just forget it becuase there is nothing you can do.
The NSF charges are not a few dollars in sum. It is almost $200. The company did take my monety out of my account without my permission which is why there was NSF charges. Perhaps you did not understand what was explained.

JETX

This is really a simple matter..... you spent money that you didn't have and wre charged NSF fees for it.

You should NEVER have spent that 'unavailable' funds that were in question with the merchant until you CONFIRMED that the deduction would not happen. These things (cancellations) do not happen instantly (or even reasonably in most cases), however you still should NOT have gone on spending the money you didn't have.

The decision to spend the money is yours.... as are the NSF charges.

gjs8806

I agree with the last reply and say forget it, the nsf charges are chomp change.

Last edited by a moderator:

rweasterly

wait

i have been fighting this issue for a long time...the problem is if you dont have the funds in the account,they let the charges go thru. anyway...so why want they refuse the transaction...???? so they can charge 28 to 30 dollars on each ck. even if it is a dollar check......even if they were to refuse/bounce the transaction they will still charge the nsf charge on each one...and one nsf charge can cause the matter to get worse...(fuel to the fire) so not everybody is just out there writing "hot checks",the banks go too far...something needs to be done...not everybody that gets an nsf charge is bad person or cheap...some of us are living payck to payck...and with all the auto pays,direct deposits,auto this auto thats, etc there is no way for the av. person to keep up with the accounts..and.sometime its a matter of hours, not days that starts the nsf landslide**************..its a rip off and you know it. i wish i was rich and had a big cush in my account......but i dont

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PamiToni

its a rip off and you know it. i wish i was rich and had a big cush in my account......but i dont
That is how some of the rich get rich. By screwing over some poor idiots that wants to play tag with their own checking accounts. Remember they that holds the money makes the rules. The rest of us eat mac and cheese and pay a dollar or two on the Lotto with a dream of escaping paycheck to paycheck hell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">