• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Lawyer charge for research?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xyzlost

What is the name of your state?Mississippi. I contacted my corporate attorney with a question about starting a LLC . He "reseached" the matter and charged me 1.5 hours of research time plus actual time talking to me about the matter. Should he already have knowledge of the matter? Should I pay him the research cost?

M

major marco

xyzlost said:
What is the name of your state?Mississippi. I contacted my corporate attorney with a question about starting a LLC . He "reseached" the matter and charged me 1.5 hours of research time plus actual time talking to me about the matter. Should he already have knowledge of the matter? Should I pay him the research cost?
The atty did nothing wrong. You asked for his services and he provided them and you were billed accordingly. There isn't an atty on the planet who knows every single facet of every single area of the law off the top of his head. Laws change daily.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

xyzlost said:

My response:

How do you think we make a living? Do you think you're special, and that he should just charge the next guy, and not you? Do you believe you're owed a "free ride" in life?

You're paying for his education, and knowledge, as an attorney - - to know where and how to research, and to understand what he's reading so that he can impart that information to you!

If you want free advice, either come here, or go to your nearest college law library and put in the time yourself.

Sheesh, what a cheapskate!

IAAL

X

xyzlost

Does a physician charge for research?

If I go to a heart doctor for a heart problem and he tells me that there is something wrong but he will have to research his medical books to find out exactly what it is. Do I need to pay him for the research time or is this something he shoud of known from his training. Or do I need to change doctor as I also do attorney.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

xyzlost said:
If I go to a heart doctor for a heart problem and he tells me that there is something wrong but he will have to research his medical books to find out exactly what it is. Do I need to pay him for the research time or is this something he shoud of known from his training. Or do I need to change doctor as I also do attorney.

My response:

No. Your attorney needs to get rid of you, his deadbeat "I want it all for free" client.

IAAL

You Are Guilty

xyzlost said:

Do you pay your doctors by the hour?

Oh, you don't?

Then perhaps that's why you only see them for 5 minutes each time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

YAG, it's no use. This joker came here to get someone to agree with his pretzel logic, and to give him justification for his views. Since he didn't get it, he'll still go around feeling he's justified in obtaining legal research, and a consultation based upon that research, for free.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">