• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Impounded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mr.rodriguez

What is the name of your state? New Jersey... Okay here is the story... I come home and my car is gone. My brother-inlaw tells me the cops impounded it. He then tells me what the cops told him.. The cops told him that someone from the neigherborhood called the police station to report street racing on the street.. so I guess the cops come over to my house and are looking around. My brother in-law pulls into the drive way and they search him... and then tell him they have to impound the car because the VIN #'s dont match.. so now the car is impounded. Now I am really onl;y concerned on how to get my car back. I went to the police station when I got home and they said since the VIN doesn't match they can't release the car to me. Now I bought the car like how it was I didnt know it was stolen.. but the police officer they arent pressing any charges...So is it possible for me to get my car back? Or how about the money I invested into the car? And did the police officers have a right to search my car when no one was home? thanks

M

mr.rodriguez

O and by the way the car doesn't even start..so it would of been impossible for it to be racing down the street..thanks

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)My brother in-law pulls into the drive way and they search him... and then tell him they have to impound the car because the VIN #'s dont match.. so now the car is impounded.(QUOTE)

(QUOTE)O and by the way the car doesn't even start..so it would of been impossible for it to be racing down the street..thanks(QUOTE)

Yep! I believe you.

CdwJava

mr.rodriguez said:
I went to the police station when I got home and they said since the VIN doesn't match they can't release the car to me. Now I bought the car like how it was I didnt know it was stolen.. but the police officer they arent pressing any charges...So is it possible for me to get my car back? Or how about the money I invested into the car? And did the police officers have a right to search my car when no one was home? thanks
Its easy to check the VIN of the car without "searching" it. if they run the plates, and the VIN plate on the dash doesn't match, it becomes evidence and is subject to immediate seizure virtually everywhere. And, chances are, it was also reported stolen and they discovered that when running the plates or the VIN.

The fact that it was no trunning is not an issue. It was on the street, and the cops had a right to look at it.

Will you get it back? Probably not. However, you can sue the guy who sold it to you.

And if you had registered the vehicle properly my guess is that this little problem would have been discovered then. Or were you permitted to register a vehicle based solely on the license plate alone?

Carl

racer72

New Jersey has some of the most screwed up and regressive motor vehicle laws anywhere. We shouldn't allow questions from that state.

You Are Guilty

If the "VIN numbers" don't match, that indicates to me that the car itself isn't stolen, but rather just certain parts. That is, if the VIN on the block doesn't match the VIN on the dash, that's proof that the motor didn't come from that car. The question then becomes, how did the police check the other (non-dash) VINs, as none are readily accessible from casual observation (i.e. under the hood, under the center of the car, door frames, etc).

Of course, if he just meant the VIN and the plate didn't match, then either the car or the plates are stolen.

Either way, I don't believe a word of this story.

Shay-Pari'e

You Are Guilty said:
If the "VIN numbers" don't match, that indicates to me that the car itself isn't stolen, but rather just certain parts. That is, if the VIN on the block doesn't match the VIN on the dash, that's proof that the motor didn't come from that car. The question then becomes, how did the police check the other (non-dash) VINs, as none are readily accessible from casual observation (i.e. under the hood, under the center of the car, door frames, etc).

Of course, if he just meant the VIN and the plate didn't match, then either the car or the plates are stolen.

Either way, I don't believe a word of this story.

Did you notice that his brother in law "Just pulled into the drive way", yet the car doesn't even start? What was he on? A scooter?.

You Are Guilty

--PARIDISE-- said:
Did you notice that his brother in law "Just pulled into the drive way", yet the car doesn't even start? What was he on? A scooter?.
One reason why I don't buy it, sure. If I were a betting man, I'd say the BiL was under the old belief that "if I can make it into my driveway, the cops can't follow me" and then got a rude awakening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">