• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of verbal offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rcsbg

Illinois

I previously worked for a company 3yrs ago until I left for another company. I was verbally offered a position, advised of my salary, & welcomed aboard. I was informed at this time that a FedEx'd offer would be arriving soon for me to sign. Both finance & many upper level managers had to sign-off on this salary before I was called & offered it.

Later that evening, I was told that "I need to verify that you are eligible for rehire. I forgot to check this before I called you."

I recieved a FedEx letter stating that I was not being considered because of unsatisfactory background info. I have no idea what this info can be.

Can they do this?...make a verbal offer & then retract? I'm quite certain the info they're referring to is wrong.

Thank you.

R

rcsbg

Revised

Illinois

I forgot to mention that the company I worked for 3yrs ago is the company that made the verbal offer.

Beth3

Yes, they can retract their job offer. You might have a claim for detrimental reliance depending on the exact circumstances of your situation but you'll need to speak to a local attorney about that. If you haven't suffered any damages (i.e. resigned your current job and can't get it back or obtain another), then don't bother with an attorney. You can't sue for disappointment or because you don't agree with their assessment of your re-employability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">