• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FrostBetancourt

What is the name of your state?Florida
Do I have a case against a School Counsler for making discriminating remarks about childern that dont look like "the norm" In this case she told me that my son was preceived to be in Special Education because the way he dressed. :mad:

snostar

Stating, your "son was preceived to be in Special Education because the way he dressed," is not discrimination.

F

FrostBetancourt

My case is at the Sarasota School Board, and the Superintendent has a big problem with what was said by this person. Maybe it is not discrimination, however it should not have been said. I feel anyone in the school system should have an open mind. If my child or any other child for that matter looks a little different they should not be any different or treated any differently. Do you agree?

rmet4nzkx

A school counselor's job is to work with children who are having some problems in school, some of those problems are social. The counselor would be remis to fail to point out why your child is having problems in social interactions with other children. You may not notice it as being out of the normal social context, that doesn't meant the counselor has discriminated because they try to explain to you why your child is having problems.

Some children have normal to high intelligence so they don't quality for Special Ed classes yet have severe and debilitating social dysfunctions and have what is termed an Autism Spectrum Disorder, inappropriate, dress, behavior and social interactions are common. If your child has such a disorder, such as Asperger's, you could find yourself in need of that counselor's observations as you ry to obtain the needs and services for your child. Many parents overprotect their children, deny when their child has a problem, so they fail to qualify for entitled services. Please, stop and take what this counselor has to say, seriously, see if your child needs help and that they get the help they need. How a child presents themselves says a lot about the supportive nature of their homes.

F

FrostBetancourt

snostar
thank you for the great advice, but this counselor and I have butted heads before, really if you knew her you would agree with me that she should not be guiding any child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Okay - so what does the kid wear that makes him stand out in an apparently negative manner?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">