• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help father left no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angel176

Father passed away two weeks ago and didnt leave a will. He just bought a trailer before he passed. I dont even know where to begin. Whats my first step to take.

Dandy Don

Go to county courthouse and apply to be administrator of his estate, which will give you legal authority to claim any and all assets. You can then go to his bank to clear out the account and pay funeral expenses if needed.

You will need to decide if you want to continue making payments on the trailer or contact the trailer company to ask them to take possession of it and cancel the sale.

Is his wife still living or not?

A

Angel176

Dandy Don said:
Go to county courthouse and apply to be administrator of his estate, which will give you legal authority to claim any and all assets. You can then go to his bank to clear out the account and pay funeral expenses if needed.

You will need to decide if you want to continue making payments on the trailer or contact the trailer company to ask them to take possession of it and cancel the sale.

Is his wife still living or not?
He had no wife,but told me he wanted me to take care of everything if something should happen to him.Will i need a lawyer to file for administrator.

Dandy Don

What is the total value of the estate? If the debts are more than the assets, then the estate is bankrupt and no probate is needed. You can file for administrator yourself without an attorney, but if you have questions about the probate process you will want to consult with a probate attorney to help get your questions answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">