• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting rent from roomate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zsun100

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachussetts
Hello,
I lived in an apartment for 6 months with my best friend. Because i was unemployed at the time and she was not at her job long enough, the only way we could get a place was if we paid 6 months up front. I paid the 6 months with my own money and she verbally agreed to pay me each month her half of the rent. Well the 6 months went by and i didn't get a single penny. We have since moved out and in separate places now, but i want to take her to court and get her for her half of the rent she owes me. I have all the paperwork, the lease which is in both our names;signed by her and I, my checks in my name to pay the 6 months in full, etc. Do i have a case against her? Is is through small claims court? Could you please let me know my options. Thank you.

Happy Trails

zsun100 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachussetts
Hello,
I lived in an apartment for 6 months with my best friend. Because i was unemployed at the time and she was not at her job long enough, the only way we could get a place was if we paid 6 months up front. I paid the 6 months with my own money and she verbally agreed to pay me each month her half of the rent. Well the 6 months went by and i didn't get a single penny. We have since moved out and in separate places now, but i want to take her to court and get her for her half of the rent she owes me. I have all the paperwork, the lease which is in both our names;signed by her and I, my checks in my name to pay the 6 months in full, etc. Do i have a case against her? Is is through small claims court? Could you please let me know my options. Thank you.
**What did you say to her when she didn't pay anything the first month? The 2nd month? The 3rd month?..........and finally the 6th month? When you both moved out what did she say about the money she owed you?

Z

zsun100

Trying to get owed rent

Hello,
Every month(1st,2nd,3rd etc.) I asked her for the money and she said, "I know I owe you it, but right now I don't have it" She was my bestest friend of 15 years and everytime I let her borrow money, even if it was only $2.00, she payed it back that very week, it was never an issue. So after each month went by I honestly thought she was good for it, until we got to our lease renewal and she expected me to pay up front the 6 months again. Then we went our separate ways. For about 3 months after we moved out, she constantly let me know she was giving me the money, but now she doesn't even say hello or tell me she's still working on getting me my money. I plan on taking her to court, I was just looking to see if I have a solid case or not?
Thanks

Happy Trails

zsun100 said:
Hello,
Every month(1st,2nd,3rd etc.) I asked her for the money and she said, "I know I owe you it, but right now I don't have it" She was my bestest friend of 15 years and everytime I let her borrow money, even if it was only $2.00, she payed it back that very week, it was never an issue. So after each month went by I honestly thought she was good for it, until we got to our lease renewal and she expected me to pay up front the 6 months again. Then we went our separate ways. For about 3 months after we moved out, she constantly let me know she was giving me the money, but now she doesn't even say hello or tell me she's still working on getting me my money. I plan on taking her to court, I was just looking to see if I have a solid case or not?
Thanks
**Small claims could be an option.. She could deny owing you anything. But, the Judge may find it odd that you would just let her live there for nothing, especially since she was on the lease.
If you have anybody that seen her acknowledging that she owes you for rent; then you should bring them with you. Maybe you could try to get a hold of her to set-up some sort of payment plan; then you would at least have something in writing.

How much rent did it accumulate to?

This link may help you: www.massbar.org/lawhelp/smclaims.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">