• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too strict parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmoschetti45

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Well it seems my parents are denying me my rights to things I can legally do. Im 16, and this is a real pain for me. Heres just the beginning:
1.) Can your parents take away your mp3 player if you own it (I paid for it)?
2.) Can your parents tell you to turn down the volume on your mp3 player because they say its damaging your ear drums (note: its not disturbing them, they cant even hear it)?
3.) Can your parents force you to go to bed at 21:00, sleep till 7:00, then take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon?
4.) Can your parents prevent you from sleeping at times not stated above?
5.) Can your parents force you to eat?
6.) Can your parents force you to eat at specified times?
7.) Can your parents force/prevent you from going to the bathroom?
8.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone in person?
9.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone on the phone?
10.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone via e-mail or IM?
11.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone via regular mail?
12.) Can your parents prevent you from going outside in the yard?
13.) Can your parents prevent you from going outside in the street?
14.) Can your parents prevent you from buying food like chips, candy, pop, etc.?
15.) Can your parents prevent you from buying clothes, shoes, etc.?
16.) Can your parents prevent you from buying computers, cell phones, etc.?
17.) Can your parents prevent you from buying a car?

It gets worse but I think thats enough info to give you an idea of what its like. Im also wondering if emancipation would be a possible last resort?

snostar

Yes, to all of the above. Emancipation is highly unlikely if not impossible without your parents consent.

CdwJava

jmoschetti45 said:
Well it seems my parents are denying me my rights to things I can legally do. Im 16, and this is a real pain for me. Heres just the beginning:
Your parent shave almost complete control over your world til you are 18 and out of their house. Until then, the Constitution does not apply to you.

****1.) Can your parents take away your mp3 player if you own it (I paid for it)?

Yes, they can.

****2.) Can your parents tell you to turn down the volume on your mp3 player because they say its damaging your ear drums (note: its not disturbing them, they cant even hear it)?

Yes they can.

**** 3.) Can your parents force you to go to bed at 21:00, sleep till 7:00, then take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon?

Yes, they can. Though why they would force you to take a nap is beyond me. But they CAN and should enforce bed times.

****4.) Can your parents prevent you from sleeping at times not stated above?

Yes, they can.

****5.) Can your parents force you to eat?

Well, they can do what mine did ... offer the dinner that they prepared from 5 to 6 PM, and if you do not wish to sit and eat dinner with the family, you can go to bed hungry. So, essentially, yes, they can.

****6.) Can your parents force you to eat at specified times?

Yes, they can.

**** 7.) Can your parents force/prevent you from going to the bathroom?

That seems extreme. Unless you use it as an excuse to get out of chores all the time. I guess they could ... though I personally do not see a point in it.

**** 8.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone in person?

Yes, they can. They have almost absolute control over who they wish you to talk and associate with if they choose to push the matter.

**** 9.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone on the phone?

Yes, they can. See above.

**** 10.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone via e-mail or IM?

Yes, they can. See above. Additionally, they do NOT have to allow you a computer OR the internet. Consider yourself lucky ... my kids don't have access to the internet unless I'm right there.

**** 11.) Can your parents prevent you from talking to someone via regular mail?

Yes, they can.

**** 12.) Can your parents prevent you from going outside in the yard?

Yes, they can.

**** 13.) Can your parents prevent you from going outside in the street?

Yes, they can.

**** 14.) Can your parents prevent you from buying food like chips, candy, pop, etc.?

Yes, they can.

**** 15.) Can your parents prevent you from buying clothes, shoes, etc.?

Yes, they can.

**** 16.) Can your parents prevent you from buying computers, cell phones, etc.?

Yes, they can.

**** 17.) Can your parents prevent you from buying a car?

If you are not 18, you can't do that anyway. So, yes, they can.

Do you detect a pattern here?

Most of what you mention are the same gripes we all had when we were teenagers. You are not an adult ... live with it. When you are 18 and live on your own, you can spend all you want and then live in a cardboard box. Until then, they have control over what you have and how you use what they permit you to keep.

It gets worse but I think thats enough info to give you an idea of what its like. Im also wondering if emancipation would be a possible last resort?
Aside from the bathroom thing and the forced nap time, this is typical teen gripes. And emancipation would almost certainly NOT be an option unless your parents agreed to it.

Carl

dequeendistress

Actually No to almost all, your parents have the right to try though, their success will depend upon your respect for their wishes and their ability to legally control your actions as they wish. (excluding 5 and 7)

CdwJava

With the exception of those items that have to do with bodily functions, a parent with a minimal amount of stones and ability will be able to apply the other rules and restrictions on their child.

I have literally had kids call and report that their mom or dad took away their Playstation and they argued that it was theirs because grandma gave it to them! They "demand" a theft report! ... I get quite the kick out of those.

I also hear parents argue that they had no control over their child while their kid sat their plaing on the Nintendo, watching TV, listening to their stereo system that sat next to their computer.

Some parents don't realize how much control they HAVE over their kids if they just choose to use it. And most kids don't seem to realize that all that "stuff" they have and take for granted can be gone in a heartbeat.

What a parent MUST provide is actually quite minimal ... and in tough love courses they tell you just how to maneuver the situation to convince the kid that he must conform to gain the perks. If he/she does not ... then they get a mattress, sheets, a change of clothes, and very bland meals.

Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
jmoschetti45 .... the long and the short of it is that your parents are the boss of you until you're 18.

rmet4nzkx

CdwJava said:
Not enough coffee some days.

Or maybe TOO much! :eek:

Carl
Hey there was one person on here today poping SOMA and coffee you should have seen their typing, spelling, grammer, word... thoughts... no one could figure them out! at least I have an excuse, for my typos. drain bamage hit by a truck, braodside. lol, the excuse isn't worth the trouble. ;)

Tayla

The poster phrased it as "can YOUR parents" ,so given that question, my answer to all is No, nada and nyet. They do at times take away my patience but thats a whole other story . I did enjoy some of the humorous responses though, makes for easier reading :)

Happy Trails

Tayla said:
The poster phrased it as "can YOUR parents" ,so given that question, my answer to all is No, nada and nyet. They do at times take away my patience but thats a whole other story . I did enjoy some of the humorous responses though, makes for easier reading :)
**That's funny. :D

J

jmoschetti45

Well if you think this is a normal teen life I hate to dissapoint you, but your way off. No, normally In not allowed on the computer, but I do sneak on whenever I can. I have almost no friends (only 4), maybe because I can't get out of the house more than 10 minutes a week when I sneak out. I haven't really been out of the house in ages. Parents decided that school allowed me to get away from home too long, so I've been home schooled for 5 years now. Im really fed up with this. Its causes me a lot of pain, depression, and suicide attempts.

rmet4nzkx

jmoschetti45 said:
Well if you think this is a normal teen life I hate to dissapoint you, but your way off. No, normally In not allowed on the computer, but I do sneak on whenever I can. I have almost no friends (only 4), maybe because I can't get out of the house more than 10 minutes a week when I sneak out. I haven't really been out of the house in ages. Parents decided that school allowed me to get away from home too long, so I've been home schooled for 5 years now. Im really fed up with this. Its causes me a lot of pain, depression, and suicide attempts.
Now you have sent up red flags, please call your local crisis cener or
National Hopeline Network, if you can't use the phone to call for help have a friend call or use your computer to ask for help.
* 1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-2433
Toll-Free in the U.S. 24 hours / 7 days
On The Hopeline Site for Your
City, County, or Area

ANN ARBOR
Washtenaw County
Ozone House
Youth & Family Services
http://comnet.org/ozone/
24 hours / 7 days
* Crisis Hotline For Teens in Crisis
(734) 662-2222
and Their Families

ANN ARBOR
Washtenaw County
University of Michigan
Health System
Psychiatric Emergency Services
www.med.umich.edu/1libr/
mental/emerg01.htm
24 hours / 7 days
* Crisis Line
(734) 996-4747

BLOOMFIELD HILL
Oakland County
Common Ground Sanctuary
commongroundsanctuary.org
24 hours / 7 days
* Crisis Lines
(248) 456-0909
1-800-231-1127
* Art Therapy Slide Show
CADILLAC
North Central Community
Mental Health
* 1-800-442-7315

CHESTERFIELD TOWNSHIP
Macomb County Crisis Center
24 hours / 7 days
* Suicide Hotline
(586) 307-9100
Voice/TDD

COLDWATER
Pines Behavioral
Health Services
* (517) 279-8404
* (517) 278-2129

DETROIT
Suicide Prevention Center

NSO Emergency Telephone Services

* (313) 224-7000

EAST LANSING
The Listening Ear Crisis Hotline

http://www.thelisteningear.net

24 hours / 7 days

* (517) 337-1717

EAST LANSING
Gateway Community Services
Statewide Crisis Lines

* (517) 351-4000

FLINT
Mental Health Crisis Clinic

Genessee County Community
Mental Health

* (810) 257-3740

FORT GRATIOT
Blue Water
Mental Health Clinic

* (810) 985-7161
* 1-800-462-6350

GRAND RAPIDS
Cornerstone Helpline

Cornerstone Community Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
of Kent County

* (616) 336-3535

HOLLAND
Ottawa County Helpline

* Holland
(616) 396-4357(HELP)
* East Ottawa County
(616) 458-4357(HELP)
* Grand Haven
(616) 842-4357(HELP)

KALAMAZOO
Gryphon Place HelpLine

http://www.gryphon.org/

24 hours / 7 days

* (269) 381-4357(HELP)

A Certified Member of the

1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-5433
National Hopeline Network

LAPEER
Lapeer County Community Mental Health Center

* (810) 667-0500

MT. CLEMENS
Turning Point Crisis Line

* (810) 463-6990

MT. PLEASANT
Listening Ear Crisis Center

24 hours / 7 days

http://www.listeningear.com/

* Isabella County
(989) 772-2918
* Clare County
(989) 386-2774
* TTY
(989) 775-0480

MUSKEGON
Community Mental Health
of West Michigan

* (231) 722-HELP
(231) 722-4357
* 1-888-919-7099

PONTIAC
Common Ground
Crisis Services

* 1-800-231-1127
* (810) 456-0909
* Psychiatric Screening
(810) 456-1919

PORT HURON
St. Clair County Community Mental Health Services

24 hours / 7 days

http://www.scccmh.org/hi_res_crisis.htm

* 1-810-987-6911
* 1-888-225-4447

SAGINAW
Crisis Intervention Services

Saginaw County Mental Health Center

* 1-800-233-0022

ST. JOSEPH
Cass, Van Buren and South Berrien Counties
The Link
Crisis Intervention Center

For TEENs and Their Families

24 hours / 7 days

http://www.link4teens.org/

* Ask to be connected to The LINK
1-800-310-5454

THREE RIVERS
St. Joseph City Community
Mental Health

* 1-800-622-3967

TRAVERSE CITY
Third Level Crisis Center

24 hours / 7 days

* (231) 922-4800
* 1-800-442-7315
Toll Free Northern Michigan

A Certified Member of the

1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-5433
National Hopeline Network

What if the
Hotline Phone Number
for my local area
is no good ??

* Call 1-800-SUICIDE / 1-800-784-2433.
* Call numbers in your state, even if they are outside your city or county.
* Some of the 800, 888 or 877 numbers are toll-free in the entire state.
* Visit the USA National page of this site for toll free National hotlines.
* Call 411 and ask for:
* Dial 0 and ask for:
* Check the FRONT pages of the phone book for:
o suicide prevention
o crisis intervention
o hotlines - crisis or suicide
o community crisis center
o county mental health center
o hospital mental health clinic
* Or, call 911 and ask for help. Tell them you are in suicidal danger.

Happy Trails

jmoschetti45 said:
**Okay, Im ready to hear the other stuff that's going on.
What grade are you going into this year? And how long until your 18th birthday? How are you earning money to buy the things you bought?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">