• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help For International Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Don Northrup

What is the name of your state? Colorado. I went to Canada in May of 2002 for a bear hunting trip. I bagged my first bear ever and left the hide at a taxidermist in Edmonton Canada for the mount to be completed. I paid a deposit of $500 USD to the taxidermist. It has now been over two years and the taxidermist has never contacted me. I called a few times and they said that they were working on it. In mid July I sent them a letter stating that I wanted nothing more at this time than to have my $500 returned to me. I told them that if I didn't receive the money by August 15, 2004, I would have to take further action. I stated that I may be forced to sue them for the money and possibaly outfitter fees, transportation and lodging fees for my trip to Canada, license fees, and loss of trophy compensation. It is now rapidly approaching the deadline and I haven't heard a thing from them.Where do I go from here? Thank you very much for any advise.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Don Northrup said:
Where do I go from here?

My response:

Africa!

Bag a White Rhino, Buana! They're better looking than some flea-bitten bear. Or, you can have your rich name-sake relatives "bear" down on that ass-hole with their corporate lawyers!

What do the instructions say at the top of this page?

Here's a clue: "Questions about U.S. law ONLY"

IAAL

D

Don Northrup

Sorry, I didn't see the "US Only" rules at the top. Where do I get information for this issue. The money my not be much to a lot of people but I saved for several years to do this. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this issue or tell me where I can get advise on this Canadian/US matter.

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Don Northrup said:
Sorry, I didn't see the "US Only" rules at the top. Where do I get information for this issue. The money my not be much to a lot of people but I saved for several years to do this. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this issue or tell me where I can get advise on this Canadian/US matter.

Thank you.

My response:

The only thing "U.S." about this matter is that you happen to live here. However, this whole matter took place in Canada; the hunt, the taxidermist contract, etc.

So, you're going to either need to contact and hire a Canadian attorney, or give it up.

By the way, I like how you told the guy that you'd go after him for "outfitter fees, transportation and lodging fees for my trip to Canada, license fees, and loss of trophy compensation." You forgot to add the value of the bear, itself!

Nice touch. You couldn't get that in your wildest dreams, but it was a nice touch.

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

Don Northrup said:
The money my not be much to a lot of people but I saved for several years to do this.
And hopefully, you have saved up enough money to go to Canada to file the lawsuit and have it heard up there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">