• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal or illegal????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

epl01

What is the name of your state?
california

I worked at a shipyard where I started as a welder in training. After 10 days I went home early because I wasn't wearing my respirator for a test to get a better look at my work. I was over come by the fumes became nautious and left for the day. The next day I wasn't feeling well but came to work anyway, I admit I was ten minutes late but that was my first time ever being late. After awhile I decided that maybe I would be better suited at another trade. I went to the office and switched over to a trade that was very similar and expressed the fact that I wanted to learn more than just one thing. So the very next day after a long talk with the administrator I started my new trade as a shipfitter. It takes almost 2 weeks to pass one test in these types of trades but I passed 2 tests in about 3 days. The foreman in charge of the training programs apparently decided that I was not the right person for the job, because he went to the office and told them that he didn't want to train me and I was fired. He told the office that I didn't care and when he told me to do something I just said whatever and "just did whatever the hell I wanted". On top of that when I get my termination slip it said unsatisfactory performance while in training. I have never spoke to the foreman a day in my life and my testing speaks for itself. Nor have I recieved any messages or instruction from him, is this termination legal or illegal??????????

Beth3

Legal. If your supervisor felt you weren't a fit for the job, he was free to terminate your employment regardless of whether it made any sense and regardless of whether his opinion was correct. It may have been unfair but it wasn't illegal.

P.S. Not wearing a respirator when you're doing welding is really dumb - and dangerous. If you value your health, don't do it again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">