• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

radioreefer

What is the name of your state? NM

Hello I have been notified that a local band is planning on suing my family owned radio station for copyright infringement for a minimum amount of $17,500 or they offer to settle now for $10,000

Here are the facts

Our station gave away 11 copies of a recorded cd with 10 songs by ten different local artists. These disks were thrown to the crowd at a concert.

All bands are local unsigned talent who knew of the disk and wanted to be part of it.

One band now wnat to sue saying that we didnt have permission to reproduce the song and claims statuory damages of at least 17,500.

THe lead singer of this band asked us to put the song on the disk, but we have no written record. We do however have an emial where the same person sends the station art work for a jewel box label and a label to be placed on cd's. The emails dont however refer to the cd that was given away.

My question

Is sufficient that we
1. Had verbal permission
2. Received no money for the disk

Thanks

Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">