• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's unattended property on my fence line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warped

What is the name of your state? VA

I have three duplexes on one side of my property and the land between the concrete driveway that goes to the rear-most duplex and my fence hasn't been cut or cleaned up in at least 10 years. There are several oak trees that are now pushing on my 5' chain link fence, years of almost jungle growth including vines, weeds and other undesireable plants.

Now, here is the sticky part. The way that lot is sub-divided means that each duplex is individually owned but none of the tenants can, or will, tell me how to contact the owner of any particular unit. Is there a way to discover who the owner(s) of that strip of land are and force them to clean it up and remove the trees that are encroaching (sp?) on my fence? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jeff

HomeGuru

Warped said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I have three duplexes on one side of my property and the land between the concrete driveway that goes to the rear-most duplex and my fence hasn't been cut or cleaned up in at least 10 years. There are several oak trees that are now pushing on my 5' chain link fence, years of almost jungle growth including vines, weeds and other undesireable plants.

Now, here is the sticky part. The way that lot is sub-divided means that each duplex is individually owned but none of the tenants can, or will, tell me how to contact the owner of any particular unit. Is there a way to discover who the owner(s) of that strip of land are and force them to clean it up and remove the trees that are encroaching (sp?) on my fence? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jeff
**A: another way would be to have a real estate agent check the title records.

SuckaBusta

If someone were to accidently rinse out their herbicide spray jug in that area a copule of times, that jungle might go away.

Warped

I've treated the weeds that grow on my side with some pretty harsh defoliants and most of the stuff seems resistant to it. :( I will contact the tax office and find out who the owners are. Do any of you have any ideas as to how I should proceed should they refuse to clean up the mess? Thanks for the replies!

HomeGuru

Warped said:
I've treated the weeds that grow on my side with some pretty harsh defoliants and most of the stuff seems resistant to it. :( I will contact the tax office and find out who the owners are. Do any of you have any ideas as to how I should proceed should they refuse to clean up the mess? Thanks for the replies!
**A: call the health department, building and housing department, have an attorney send a letter..........

You Are Guilty

Hypothetically, if one were to plant some weed weed there, when the DEA come's a-knockin', they'll clean out the whole area when they confiscate the plants. Problem solved ;)

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
Hypothetically, if one were to plant some weed weed there, when the DEA come's a-knockin', they'll clean out the whole area when they confiscate the plants. Problem solved ;)

**A: your brain needs a weedin.........

Warped

HomeGuru said:
**A: call the health department, building and housing department, have an attorney send a letter..........
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I know how some of you folks hate it when new threads are started on the same subject. :)

I've finally had time to find out who owns the property in question. I would rather contact the property owners personally and ask them politely to clean up rubbish and over-growth of vegetation on their property that is along my fence line. Here is what I'm dealing with on the property line.

1: One totally dead tree that keeps dropping rotting limbs on my property as well as theirs. This tree is eventually going to fall and poses a safety hazard. If it falls it is possible that it could hit my house.

2: Two oak trees that are pushing against and stretching my chain link fence. These trees pre-date the current owners of the property so I'm not sure of their liability.

3: One tree that has grown a limb that is about 4" in diameter through the chain link fence. I have cut that limb off but part of it is still stuck in my fence and has damaged it.

4: Bamboo, honeysuckle, brambles and vines mixed with various bushes, shrubs and weeds along the length of the fence.

5: Overgrowth of weeds clogged with trash near the street that is also clogging a drainage ditch. The drainage ditch represents the approximate property line. I used to cut the grass in that area as a courtesy and to improve the looks of my property but after having to replace the a lawnmower tire due to broken glass, I stopped.

What I would like to know is how to phrase a politely worded CRRR letter to the owners asking them to clean up the area in a reasonable amount of time. I'd also appreciate any suggestions of how to ask them to get rid of the trees that are damaging my fence. I know this is a lot to ask and I really appreciate any help you can offer in this.

Warped

seniorjudge said:
Your post seems to me to be a good start on a letter.

Thanks seniorjudge. :) What I'd like to know about though is the legalese part of the letter. I mean, should I just be blunt but polite or direct and to the point? Thanks again for your help!

S

seniorjudge

Like I said, you already made a good start.

Why don't you be courteous, clear, honest, and open?

State the facts and what you want done....simple.

I don't know what "legalese" you are talking about. So just drop all that and be lucid....

stevek3

Warped said:
Ya know, you may want to check online instead of wasting time. Many auditors and recorders now have their records online.

Warped

stevek3 said:
Ya know, you may want to check online instead of wasting time. Many auditors and recorders now have their records online.
Actually, that is how I found the owners' addresses for the properties I asked about. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">