• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknowingly cashed false cashier's check, responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shinobihotsuma

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I sold something on the internet, and was paid by someone out of the country with a cashier's check. Upon attempting to cash it, I was told nothing, and the bank cashed it. Now, I've been contacted by the bank and told it was fake. I now owe the bank the full amount of the cashier's check. They've frozen all of my accounts, and I just don't have the money for this. Is there anything I can do to fight it?
One police officer I spoke with told me I shouldn't be responsible because the bank shouldn't have cashed it, and another said I am responsible.

C

catina

re:

I live in Indiana and had the same experience as you are describing, I filed a report with the state police, and they have opened a case along with the FBI, I was told by the state police that the bank has insurance for fraud cases and it would be wrote off, but the bank will try to collect the money before turning it over to their insurance. The scam artist that suckered me stated he was from Maryland but when traced by his email he was from Nigeria, you need to file a report with your local police and go to the FBI website and read about the 419 cases.

bigtcattle

NIGERIA-Counterfit Checks

Alabama

I received a counterfit check----my bank sent me to the Sheriff's office, they took it an then a few days later when I enquired about it "Nothing we can do, No need in turning over to the FBI". These people used UPS to pick up the merchandise----why can't that be traced????// atleast my bank helped me, but I was suspicious because of this forum.

rmet4nzkx

bigtcattle said:
Alabama

I received a counterfit check----my bank sent me to the Sheriff's office, they took it an then a few days later when I enquired about it "Nothing we can do, No need in turning over to the FBI". These people used UPS to pick up the merchandise----why can't that be traced????// atleast my bank helped me, but I was suspicious because of this forum.
This is not the same situation. remember you took your check to the bank they did not cash it because it was counterfit, that is why the sheriff said you had no loss. You still could have reported it to the FBI and the EMAILS would lead them to the sender. That you conveyed the items to the sender via UPS is your fault, because you didn't check out the check before sending the items. So you are out the item but at least not having to repay the bank for cashing a counterfit cashier's check.

JETX

Not only that, but it is very common for these scams to use UPS, FedEX, Western Union.... or any other service EXCEPT the USPS. The reason: use of USPS for these scams is a federal offense (mail fraud) and brings down a much higher level of enforcement then the other services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">