• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Products in videos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ToyGuy

State = Michigan

I plan on making a stop motion video using Hasbro's GI Joe figures. Assuming Hasbro owns all the associated copyrights/patents, and assuming I dutifully employ the Trademark "R" all over the place (ie. whenever a character's name is used in text, etc.), and assuming I put an extensive disclaimer in the credits about how no association w/ Hasbro is implied, and that Hasbro owns all the copyrights, etc. etc., can I sell this video?

I was told by several people that the use of ANY material that is copyrighted or trademarked to make money is illegal, but this seems a little overboard. I was under the impression from what I've seen of copyright/trademark law that as long as it is not my intent to trade on Hasbro's name I'm OK.

The video would have stop motion animation of the GI Joe figures, and the opening sequence/graphical transitions would use the GI Joe and Cobra logos, as well as various boxart scanned from the older toys' boxes (from about 1984 - 1990). The DVD would be sold via online stores and at vendor tables at various toy conventions in various states in the U.S.

Will I be able to sell this DVD?

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">