• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra Eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr_Natural

What is the name of your state?NC
I am getting ready to leave my current job. Do I have to apply for Cobra before I leave or do I have a certain amount of time afterward to apply

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not need to apply for COBRA before you leave.

Your employer has up to 44 days after your last day of employment or the last day of coverage, whichever is later, to notify you of your right to COBRA and the specifics (dates, amounts, date due etc.). From the date you receive the notice, you have 60 days to elect COBRA. From the date you elect COBRA, you have 45 days to mail in the first check.

The first check must be retroactive to the date of cancellation, so the sooner you apply the less the initial check will have to be.

They MAY legally terminate your coverage until they have received your check. They MUST reinstate retroactive to the date of cancellation once the check is received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">