• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maggiestar

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My brother-in-law was arrested last night for possession of weed and cocaine. He is currently still in jail. His bond was set at $50, 000. What I need to know is, what type of jail-time, fines, etc...is he looking at?

Thanks

dirty6613

depending upon the weight of each and how many prior offenses he has. Seein that his bail is so high he could be lookin @ time. But each case is unique. Was the search that confiscated the drugs legal? How much did he tell the cops? Was he caught selling the drugs or just in possession of them? The best thing to do is get a lawyer to get his bail reduced, and work on getting him out. Don't just get a bull**** lawyer for his case! Bull**** lawyers just want money and they get you some quick plea, to get less time, but the good ones can keep you out. I got a bull**** lawyer right now, and I'm dumpin his ass to get a better lawyer, but I already wasted money on the bull**** one. Free lesson from my mistakes. Good luck.

CdwJava

I don't know about what the fines and jail time might be, but DO NOT post bail for this guy! Why would you want to be out $5,000 or more (the bondsman's fee) just so he can walk around for a few weeks? And, you could find yourself in the same boat that some friends of mine were last year - in danger of losing their home when the cousin they bailed out decided that a trip to Mexico was a good idea instead of showing for court!

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">