• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

franchise question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Andrea Satty

What is the name of your state? New York
My husband this past December opened up a franchise retail chocolate store in Paramus Park Mall, Paramus NJ. We are residents of the state of New York. His franchise agreement is silent as to geographic protection. A few months ago he got a call from the franchise that they were approving a franchise store being opened in a mall less than five miles away which is in direct contact with my husband's mall and market. Is there any protection under the law from the franchise doing this? Do they have some sort of obligation in the absence of anything to the contrary under the franchise law to prevent direct competition amongst franchisees?

HomeGuru

Andrea Satty said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My husband this past December opened up a franchise retail chocolate store in Paramus Park Mall, Paramus NJ. We are residents of the state of New York. His franchise agreement is silent as to geographic protection. A few months ago he got a call from the franchise that they were approving a franchise store being opened in a mall less than five miles away which is in direct contact with my husband's mall and market. Is there any protection under the law from the franchise doing this? Do they have some sort of obligation in the absence of anything to the contrary under the franchise law to prevent direct competition amongst franchisees?
**A: he needs to read the franchise agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">