• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ice Fall at Business- Broke ankle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cashac

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WA
In January I fell on an ice covered sidewalk about three feet from a business' door. The business contracts with another company to keep the ice clear. This company says they put down de-icer about three hours before my fall, but there was still a lot of ice left. I broke my ankle severely and was taken in an abulance to have surgery and much hardware put in. I had to be off work for three months and will be off another month after my third surgery coming up. I've been in a lot of pain and understand I will probably have pain for the rest of my life. It seems to me they were responsible for making sure the ice was cleared (there had been no new snow that day). The only witnesses to the actual fall were my two kids, ages 10 and 8. There were good samaritins who helped me, but I didn't get any names. Unfortunately, in the beginning I had no thoughts of a lawsuit, so there are no pictures, or witness names. Their insurance company has agreed to pay medical. My question is: what would be a reasonable amount to ask for pain and suffering and is this something I should ask for? I don't have the slightest idea how much to ask for and, if possible, would prefer not to have to use a lawyer.

JETX

cashac said:
what would be a reasonable amount to ask for pain and suffering and is this something I should ask for?
My question to you.... how can you even think that we would have any idea how much 'pain and suffering' you had.... or have any idea how to figure it???
The old 'rule' of about three times your medical no longer applies as the insurance companies have gotten downright hardball in their offers.

So, how much did they offer you??? And if you don't agree, are you willing to file a lawsuit against them and have a jury determine your 'pain and suffering'.... and lose 35-45% in contingent fee??

C

cashac

My apologies for my ignorance

I didn't realize it was such an stupid question. I've never dealt with anything like this and have no idea what I'm doing. They didn't offer anything more than medical. I feel I should get more because the ice had been there for quite a few hours since the last snow fall and their attempt to de ice it didn't work.
I don't know if I'm willing to sue for pain and suffering because I don't know if it's something I could win. I don't even know where to start asking. I have no idea how to put a dollar amount on the pain I feel everyday and the things I have not been able to do. I didn't even know about the "three time the amount of medical" rule. That's why I'm writing here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">