• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

* Disability then resignation option *

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gfidk

I'm in Michigan and just went on STD due to surgery and will need 3 months recovery. Since I have suplimental disability insurance, do I have a legal responsibility to return to my prior employment? I'd just been offered another job (once recovered) which I'd like to take advantage of. Would I need to return to my current employer after the 90 days and then resign?

Thanx in advance.

ALawyer

Ever since the ratification of the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution outlawing slavery and its equivalent, all people in the US have a right to work for whomever they want.

You have no legal obligation to return to your old job, and the receipt of insurance benefits is not conditioned on your returning; UNLESS you signed an agreement taking the disability benefits as an advance against future salary - in which case you may owe the money to the employer -you can work for anyone.

One thing. If there is any likelihood of a relapse, be cautious about taking a new job that you may not be able to perform. New employers are far less tolerant than old ones, and they may feel if you left employer one you'd be likely to leave employer two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">