• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washington State Boundary Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fenceline

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington.

I just had a survey (I bought about a year back) and my neighbor's fence is 6 feet to my side of the survey line. He says that since the fence is old (at least 20 years), I am out of luck and the property is his. What are my odds?

Thanks!

racer72

Washington's adverse possession laws allow a property owner to claim land if they have been using it for 7 consecutive years. In order for the property to change hands, the person using the property must file a claim with a superior court and if approved, file claims with the county land use and property tax departments. They also must be paying taxes on this property. I would suggest talking to a local attorney asap.

Washington RCW 7.28.070

HomeGuru

fenceline said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington.

I just had a survey (I bought about a year back) and my neighbor's fence is 6 feet to my side of the survey line. He says that since the fence is old (at least 20 years), I am out of luck and the property is his. What are my odds?

Thanks!

**A: your neighboris full of crap as in WA, there is no automatic right to take property just based on the location of an old fence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">