• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OLD Music

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mach1FT

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

Hi in the late 60's early 70's I had a few diffrent bands which did a few 45's and
such of my own material written and sang by me my question is, Someone has taken some of my songs and put them on a mixed artist cd of 60 and 70's music
of which i had no idea until yesterday after doing a web search of my own name.
is that legal and do I have a writes here?

J

J. Michael

If your songs were published in printed form with proper copyright notice and registered, they are copyrighted just like anything else. (U. S. copyright law before 1978 was different then than it is now.) If your songs were not published in printed form, then federal law considers them unpublished. There was no federal protection for sound recordings before 1972. However, state and common law may protect your recordings anyway. Anything published between 1972 and 1978 without a proper copyright notice [a (C) or a (P)] might not be protected. This can get complicated and you would need to get specific and local advice. You should be able to control use of your recordings, or at least the songs.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">