• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered trespassing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lambi00

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

We rent a piece of property for our business, which is an outdoor eating establishment. As a favor to our landlord, we place her sign for her real estate business out front.

Two weeks ago, my landlord's neighbor came over to us on our rented property yelling and screaming that we put the sign on her property and told us to remove it at once. I did and then consulted with our landlord about the property lines and have subsequently put the sign where it is supposedly legal.

On Saturday, the same neighbor came over on our rental property yelling and screaming while we were waiting on customers saying we were trespassing on her property with the sign. I went to look at it, she grabbed it and came towards me with it in her hand saying I couldn't have it back and that she "didn't know what she was going to do with it". I backed up and my husband went with her to the street to retrieve the sign. Then she started yelling that he assaulted her and called the police. I, meanwhile, called the landlord and they arrived to greet the police.

The police took our statements, checked out where the sign was by the holes in the ground, and determined that the sign was not on her property. They then asked my landlord to say that she was not welcome on her property. They told us to call the police next time she comes on this land.

But I'm upset that she treated us like criminals, telling us she was going to file felony charges against us and insulting me saying I belonged in the street. She was the aggressor and I was afraid she was going to hit with that sign, which is why I backed up and away from her. She was on our land, which we pay rent for. Can I sue her for trespassing, assault, or whatever. We have reluctant witnesses who can testify that she approached us in a belligerant manner. What constitutes trespassing?

rmet4nzkx

It might be more effective to get a restraining order, since she threatened you in the presence of witnessess and the police were called, confirmed that she was the violator and warned her to stay away. Then if she continues such behavior, you have the restraining order, you will have evidence that you have tried to handle the matter in a civil manner and might have more sufficient grounds for suit, but you can certainly consult with a local attorney and see if you have grounds for some action and what your options are with more in depth information, be sure to get a copy of the police report and also good to get declarations from the witnesses while you can.

HomeGuru

Lambi00 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

We rent a piece of property for our business, which is an outdoor eating establishment. As a favor to our landlord, we place her sign for her real estate business out front.

Two weeks ago, my landlord's neighbor came over to us on our rented property yelling and screaming that we put the sign on her property and told us to remove it at once. I did and then consulted with our landlord about the property lines and have subsequently put the sign where it is supposedly legal.

On Saturday, the same neighbor came over on our rental property yelling and screaming while we were waiting on customers saying we were trespassing on her property with the sign. I went to look at it, she grabbed it and came towards me with it in her hand saying I couldn't have it back and that she "didn't know what she was going to do with it". I backed up and my husband went with her to the street to retrieve the sign. Then she started yelling that he assaulted her and called the police. I, meanwhile, called the landlord and they arrived to greet the police.

The police took our statements, checked out where the sign was by the holes in the ground, and determined that the sign was not on her property. They then asked my landlord to say that she was not welcome on her property. They told us to call the police next time she comes on this land.

But I'm upset that she treated us like criminals, telling us she was going to file felony charges against us and insulting me saying I belonged in the street. She was the aggressor and I was afraid she was going to hit with that sign, which is why I backed up and away from her. She was on our land, which we pay rent for. Can I sue her for trespassing, assault, or whatever. We have reluctant witnesses who can testify that she approached us in a belligerant manner. What constitutes trespassing?
**A: trespassing is merely the act of someone entering uninvited onto your owned or leased property.

Lambi00

Trespassing

I have to say that she was definitely trespassing then. She scared me half to death, frankly. I am going to get a restraining order. I don't want her within fifty feet of me. I probably should have done something the first time she did that, shouldn't I?

HomeGuru

Lambi00 said:
I have to say that she was definitely trespassing then. She scared me half to death, frankly. I am going to get a restraining order. I don't want her within fifty feet of me. I probably should have done something the first time she did that, shouldn't I?
**A: nah, just make her a nice meal spiced with some valium.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">