• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mr. Rawson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RADTECHINC

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

Hi, I have two questions, I have just been fired for making a copy of an employee manual.

We had a meeting last week and we were told that we could not have a copy of the manual but I wanted to read it and make notes and understand it.

I made a copy of it today and was just fired for doing so.

Do I have a right to make a copy of an employee manual to read at work (I did not take this home), I just made a copy to read.

Also, I received an employee review two weeks ago which I disagreed with in many areas. I handed in a note stating my side of the issues and my supervisor sign it. The next day she gave it back to me saying she did not agree with it and would not put it in my file.

Is that legal?

Thank you for all your help

Ummonx

IL I believe is an at will state, meaning you or your employer can terminate the employment without reason. It doesn't sound like your employer has done anything illegal

Beth3

Do I have a right to make a copy of an employee manual to read at work (I did not take this home), I just made a copy to read. Not unless your employer authorizes you to do so. It's THEIR manual. They told you not to and you did so anyway. I guess they meant what they said. Yes, it was legal to terminate you for this reason - you were insubordinate.

Also, I received an employee review two weeks ago which I disagreed with in many areas. I handed in a note stating my side of the issues and my supervisor sign it. The next day she gave it back to me saying she did not agree with it and would not put it in my file. A few States' reg's specifically say that an employee has the right to submit "rebuttal" documents to his/her personnel file. I don't know if IL is one of those or not but I expect someone else here can advise you for certain.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of IL DOES give you the right to place a rebuttal in your file if there is something with which you disagree. (820 Ill. Comp Stat. 40/0.01 to 40/13). However, given that you have already been terminated for unrelated issues (and I agree that the termination was legal) I'm not sure how much good it will do you to stand on that particular right.

If you feel strongly enough about it you can complain to the IL DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">