• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Neighbor's Fence Dilema -VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freeflow

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I just received the survey of the property I'm about to purchase. The surveyor noted the neighbor's fence is 1.5' over the property line in the front and 3.3' over the property line in the back.

Being the new neighbor, I do not wish to start any wars here.

What would be the best appropriate action if I would like it properly noted that his fence IS on my property and I reserve the right to ask him to move it any time in the future? Also, if any modifications or replacement of the fence is done that it should be moved at that time?

Honestly, I'm hoping a hurricane will come blow it down and it will have to be rebuilt on his own property. Which brings up another question.

If the fence does get damaged and he fails to repair it. Who would be responsible?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian
-Portsmouth, VA

HomeGuru

freeflow said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I just received the survey of the property I'm about to purchase. The surveyor noted the neighbor's fence is 1.5' over the property line in the front and 3.3' over the property line in the back.

Being the new neighbor, I do not wish to start any wars here.

What would be the best appropriate action if I would like it properly noted that his fence IS on my property and I reserve the right to ask him to move it any time in the future? Also, if any modifications or replacement of the fence is done that it should be moved at that time?

Honestly, I'm hoping a hurricane will come blow it down and it will have to be rebuilt on his own property. Which brings up another question.

If the fence does get damaged and he fails to repair it. Who would be responsible?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian
-Portsmouth, VA
**A: al your concerns could easliy be resolved by making sure that the neighbors sign an encroachment agreement and such agreements are recorded on title to yours and their property.

F

freeflow

HomeGuru said:
**A: al your concerns could easliy be resolved by making sure that the neighbors sign an encroachment agreement and such agreements are recorded on title to yours and their property.
Thanks for the reply.
How does one go about completing an encroachment agreement? And once it is signed, who is it registered/filed who? (city?)

Please excuse my ignorance regarding property rights as I am a newbie to home-ownership. Thanks for the help!

Brian

HomeGuru

freeflow said:
Thanks for the reply.
How does one go about completing an encroachment agreement? And once it is signed, who is it registered/filed who? (city?)

Please excuse my ignorance regarding property rights as I am a newbie to home-ownership. Thanks for the help!

Brian

**A: ok newbie homeowner, hire and oldbie real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">