• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out at 16, emancipation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Danica8624

What is the name of your state?The name of my state is alaska. I am 16, almost seventeen in less then a month. I am trying to move to oregon with a family friend. I was hoping to go wiht my parents permission but they refuse to let me go. For the last three years i have ran away twice and commited attemted suicide, i have suffered severe verbal and mental abuse. :mad: Some physical but not to severe. I want to get an emancipation so i can be free to move to oregon. but how do i get around my parents. the laws in alaska say i have to be self supporting, and well i was but i lost my job. and all im really looking for is a way to get out of this house and leave this island. In oregon i will have a highschool down the road a house to live in a bed to sleep in and people to feed me until i can get my own job which will be shortly after i get there. i do not want to run away again. Is there any way i can take my car with me? i paid for most of the damn thing but its in my parents name. i have almost five grand in the thing. Im scared that if i stay here im going to get in to major trouble and im trying to save my parents the trouble of having ot deal wiht me anymore. They have told me many times to get out of the house but now that i have the recourses to actually do it they are telling me that they dont think me mature enough to handle it. What the heck do i do? :confused: My friend is moving in a month and i need to have this sorted out before she leaves. Someone help me please.

CdwJava

It is virtually impossible to get emancipated without your parents' permission. And to do so would require your ability to support yourself without any aid (government, family, or friends) as well as a demonstrated history of mature and responsible behavior.

From what you write, no judge is likely to grant emancipation based upon the running away and the suicide attempts alone.

If there is physical abuse, call the police or CPS. If its just the rules are too tough, then you may have to work with your parents or tough it out.

Emancipation is not in the cards based on what you wrote here. And if you run away, the people you go to stay with could face criminal charges for harboring you. So unless your parent give this move their blessing, you are stuck until you are 18.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">