• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shopping cart damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ubquiet

What is the name of your state? arizona

While shopping, someone put a large dent in my car with a shopping cart in the parking lot. I did not see who did it, but someone else gave me a license plate number of the person they said did it. Can i go after this person for repair costs? What if they deny doing it? Will my insurance company cover this and can they go after the person?

tammy8

You can try to go after the person however never have I seen anyone admit they did it.

That being said your collision will cover this but make sure it meets your deductible and that if you do file, it can be counted against in a claims free situation (if you are receiving claims free).

PS take a look at most cars---we all got our dents and dings...I am personally waiting for someone to rear end me so I can my back bumper ding from a shopping fixed ;) opps but that would be insurance fraud!

U

ubquiet

so i couldnt legally go after them? even if there was a witness?

If you file the claim with your auto insurance, they will take the info you give them and "subrogate" the claim. That means they will pay your claim, minus your deductible, then attempt to make the other person's insurance reimburse them for what they paid, and you for your deductible.

Tammy8 is right. Most times, the person will deny they did it. So if it’s a small amount of damage, it’s probably not worth filing the claim. Get an estimate; see how it looks when you figure in paying your deductible. If you go ahead and file the claim, don't bother holding your breathe on getting the other guy to pay up.

U

ubquiet

My estimate is $1600.00. I wonder about the law though. Are they really liable just because someone said they did it? And how does their auto insurance responsible when it didnt involve their car, but a cart?

tammy8

$1600??????? for a ding??????

Does this include repainting the entire car?????

I find that one hard to believe and I feel like your insurance company will also.

Z

zack1233

Have you talked to the grocery store that owns the cart and parking lot? I bet they have insurance and they get lots of claims like yours.

Just a suggestion

tammy8

zack1233 said:
Have you talked to the grocery store that owns the cart and parking lot? I bet they have insurance and they get lots of claims like yours.

Just a suggestion
And 99 if not 100% of claims are denied due to posting in parking lots about not being responsible for carts.

If you are so worried about dinging (again I find it hard to believe that much damage from a shopping cart???) then park at the top of lot and WALK!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">