• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right of way in private parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

k learn

What is the name of your state? California
I was driving in a wrong direction to cross an intersection of a shopping mall parking lot. Another car crossing the same intersation at 90 degrees hit my car at the middle of passenger side. There was no sign nor marking on the aisles. My car had a significant damage on the side, while another car had a minor damage on the front bummper. There was no personal injury. No report was made to the police. My insurance company informed me that the other car had the the right of way and I was 100% fault for underwriting purpose, although a legal decision is not made. Who has the right of way? Even if some one has the right, is it OK to hit another car in front? Are there any traffic codes or some examples related to this situation?

Happy Trails

k learn said:
What is the name of your state? California
I was driving in a wrong direction to cross an intersection of a shopping mall parking lot. Another car crossing the same intersation at 90 degrees hit my car at the middle of passenger side. There was no sign nor marking on the aisles. My car had a significant damage on the side, while another car had a minor damage on the front bummper. There was no personal injury. No report was made to the police. My insurance company informed me that the other car had the the right of way and I was 100% fault for underwriting purpose, although a legal decision is not made. Who has the right of way? Even if some one has the right, is it OK to hit another car in front? Are there any traffic codes or some examples related to this situation?
**The car to the 'right' of you has the 'right of way'. He was the car to the right of you. You were the car to the left of him.

JETX

And not only that, but you that you were "driving in a wrong direction". Therefore, it makes no difference whether you were on the right or the other driver. Bottom line... with you traveling the wrong way, there is NO assumption that the driver crossing the intersection (in the lot) should anticipate or be cautioned to a vehicle approaching from the WRONG way.

U

ubquiet

parking lot is private property, but you must still obey traffic laws, someone hit me while they were driving across yellow parking lines and i was driving the right way,they were at fault

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">