• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other driver was not insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cma2575

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN

I was involved in a 3 vehicle accident. The car behind me was pushed into the rear of my car when a third vehicle hit them from behind. The third vehicle was issued several citations and has been determined by the second vehicles insurance to be at fault. The problem is the third vehicle does not have any insurance. I can only afford to carry liability and now I have to try to foot the bill to make my vehicle driveable again. Is there any way I can try to force the second vehicles insurance company to pay for my repairs since thier vehicle is the one that ultimately hit mine?
Thanks for your help.

JETX

cma2575 said:
Is there any way I can try to force the second vehicles insurance company to pay for my repairs since thier vehicle is the one that ultimately hit mine?
Of course you can try, but it won't work. Your only recourse is to sue the 'at fault' party to try to recover your damages.

U

ubquiet

it is my understanding that although the 3rd car started the whole thing, had the car behind you been at proper distance, he would not have hit you, so he is liable for the damage he causes. I would check into it.

P.S. this came up in defensive driving class i took and i am pretty sure that was the answer

JETX

ubquiet said:
it is my understanding that although the 3rd car started the whole thing, had the car behind you been at proper distance, he would not have hit you, so he is liable for the damage he causes.
And of course, that is not correct. The ONLY obligation on the car behind you is that they stop before hitting you. They did that..... at least until they were hit and pushed into you. The car behind you is NOT at fault in this accident... no matter how much 'ubquiet' tries to claim.

this came up in defensive driving class i took and i am pretty sure that was the answer
Looks like you need to either check the answers or take the test again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">