• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Adjuster for Appraisal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joey59

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Indiana

My home was damaged in a major gas explosion of a neighbors home in February (60 homes damaged, three destroyed in the neighborhood). After many delays, I received an itemization and check from the insurace company. I did not cash it - it was much lower than the restoration company's estimate. After another long delay, it was pointed out to me that what I needed to do was invoke the appraisal clause of my policy, which I did. Received notice on 8/6 that I had 20 days for my appraiser to contact the insurance company's appraiser.

After another week's delay, the restoration firm I retained indicated they could not (or would not) represent me in the appraisal process, but would be happy to do the work upon settlement. (Call me bitter, but fat chance...)

They could not make a recommendation for someone to represent me. In many, many web searches tonight, the only conclusion that I arrive at is that one of the functions of public adjusting firms is to do this sort of appraising. The house is structurally sound, but has lots of cosmetic damage (a few windows, many plaster cracks, some mortar out of the foundation, cabinets separated from walls, etc). I wouldn't need an engineer, but I don't see many contractors at my heels trying to do this sort of representation. I also see many varied opinions on the value (or lack thereof) of public adjusters.

Is a public adjuster what I need in this situation? If not, how do I go about finding another qualified party as the clock continues to tick?

Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">